003: morningstar

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER THREE OF TWENTY

❝ MORNINGSTAR ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

(NAME)'S KNUCKLES RAPPED AGAINST THE OPEN DOOR TO ERIC'S STUDY, the woman in question leaning against the doorframe, a hopeful look on her face. She had a wistful smile on her face. It was almost like Eric didn't even hear her knocking on the door.

He was too endorsed in his writing. The clock on the wall read 10:47 pm. (Name) was clad in pyjamas, with her blue blanket draped over her shoulders, like a cloak. "Hey, Ricky?" she attempted fleetingly, "Uh, it's almost eleven...d'you wanna head up to bed? So you can be all refreshed for your writing tomorrow?".

Eric let out a bored sigh, glancing over at his wife. "No, (Name), I'm gonna sleep in the study again tonight," he mused. (Name)'s eyes wandered to the pull-out sofa that Eric often slept on, a single pillow and a blanket draped over the blue and white pinstriped-patterned sofa.

(Name) let out an annoyed sigh. Eric frowned at his wife's change in behaviour. She pulled the blanket over her shoulders before stormily leaving. Eric stood up, frowning and confused, following his wife. "Hey!" Eric called, "What did I do?".

(Name) angrily turned around. "What've you- God, Eric..." (Name) said, disbelief laced in her tone and painted over her facial expression, "You're so thick, you don't even know why I'm upset!".

"Last time I checked, (Name), I wasn't fucking psychic!" Eric snapped back, folding his arms, "Now, just tell me what I've done wrong yet again to displease that whole holier than thou complex you've got!".

(Name) glared daggers at the raven-haired man. "You're always sleeping in that bloody study!" (Name) snapped, "You're always working! It's unhealthy! Is it so wrong that I want to sleep in the same bed as my husband for once?".

Eric scoffed sarcastically. "Don't make me laugh," he venomously spat, "After a year, you want to sleep in the same bed as me? Thought you found me so disgusting you couldn't even sleep in the same bed as me!".

"You fucking know why I don't want to sleep in the same bed as you!" (Name) hissed, keeping her voice low, so as not to disturb the neighbours upstairs and downstairs, "I haven't been able to! Not since I found you and my bestfriend fucking in our old bed! Since I found you had an affair! Since you stabbed me in the back!".

"I MADE A MISTAKE!" Eric yelled, raising his arms in a fleeted attempt to get his point across, "We all do! You wanted space! I gave you space! You know the statistics of cheating after a-".

(Name) began to sarcastically laugh. "Don't pull that statistics bullshit on me," she warned, "Go back to your sofa bed. Just piss off,".

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

THE MIDNIGHT HOUR COULDN'T'VE COME SOONER. (Name) woke up to the old grandfather clock tolling loudly in the hallway. She sat up in bed, noticing Eric's half of the bed to be empty and cold. Alone again. She deeply regretted fighting with Eric. She knew arguing wasn't the way to fix the marriage. The marriage counsellor had said so.