004: devil in disguise

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER FOUR OF TWENTY

 DEVIL IN DISGUISE ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

"...EROS?" (Name) asked, in a suspicious tone. She raised her brows at the button-eyed man known as Eros. Something about him seemed off entirely. He gave off a sinister and hallowed vibe but masked it with smiles and pet names. Like a devil in disguise.

Eros simply put on another love-filled smile, folding his large hands neatly together. He looked like an angel. Then she remembered. The Devil wasn't a little red man with a pair of horns and a tail; he could be beautiful...because he was a fallen angel and used to be God's favourite. Much like the enigmatic Eros that stood in front of her.

The raven-haired man placed some gloves over his hands and opened the oven, pulling out a freshly-cooked dish of (favourite meal). Her mouth dared to water at how amazing the dish looked and smelt. Eric couldn't cook as if his life depended on it...his go-to was ordering takeaway until the next food shop.

"Hell's Bells..." (Name) uttered, eyes ogling the dish itself, "That looks...wonderful. It's literally perfect...".

Eros smiled at her, placing the dish onto the marble-patterned countertop. "I only strive for perfection when it comes to my darling wife~," he said. His words were silk-smooth and dripped from his mouth like honey.

Had her fight-or-flight instinct not been triggered, (Name) would've basked in the attention that Eros was handing her on a silver platter. He was worshipping her as if she were a goddess; a divine, omnipotent being that people were in awe of. Eros served (favourite meal) onto two plates. (Name) followed behind him, as a dog would to a bone.

She followed the button-eyed man into the elaborate dining room. The floors were decked with the same mahogany floorboards and the walls were painted a dark brown, matching the darker brown skirting boards. There was a long, intricate mahogany-coloured dining table with about twelve dining chairs pushed up against the table.

The table legs dug into the vintage-looking red carpet with a myriad of patterns sewn into it. Overhead was a small chandelier, lit up brightly, illuminating the room. Eros placed one dish gingerly at the head of the table, next to an empty glass. He placed the second dish opposite the chair next to the head of the table, next to a glass of red wine, which had an alluring scent.

It smelt just like the fruity wine that Eric had a fancy for, which he'd gotten specially imported from France for their wedding. Eros gave her a keen smile, beckoning her to follow him. He untucked the chair at the head of the table, allowing (Name) to sit on it before pushing it into the table, giving her the right amount of distance from the table as she liked.

He then sat at the chair on the right-hand side of the table, second from the head of the table. He pushed the chair under the table, smiling lovingly at her. His smile was sweet, yet it had undertones of something sinister. (Name) had noticed three silhouette paintings of three different women; one woman with long hair with 2 feathers in her hair, the second with her hair drawn into a tight bun and the third's hair free-flowing in pinned curls.