020: out of touch

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER TWENTY OF TWENTY

❝ OUT OF TOUCH ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

(NAME) WOKE UP LATER THAN NIGHT. The cat sat out the window, glaring. She sighed, climbing out of bed. She approached the windowsill and opened the window. "Hey..." she greeted awkwardly, "I'm really for throwing you at him...the Other Husband. I couldn't think of anything else...".

The cat's glare vanished, looking up at her with big, blue eyes. (Name) scooped up the cat into her arms and took him back to bed. She climbed into the bed, under the covers. The cat curled up at the foot of the bed. (Name) pulled the three ghost eyes out of the drawer beside her bed. "I think it's time, y'know, to set them free?".

The cat nodded. (Name) smiled at him. "Eric loves cats. You'll fit in just wonderfully..." (Name) yawned, tucking the three ghost eyes underneath her pillow, drifting back to sleep. All was well and all was calm on that darkened, starry night.

(Name) awoke later that evening. She wasn't in her bedroom but rather in a dreamscape.

It was illuminated with a navy blue and whisps of elegant gold floating around. It resembled Van Gogh's A Starry Night. The three ghost women floated in front of her, coloured in gold with happy smiles and their eyes returned. They each had a glimmering halo above their heads and a pair of angelic wings on their backs, fluttering them into place.

"It's a wonderful thing you did for us, sugar," Mrs Lovat, whose first name was Mary, said, smiling down at the young woman, who returned it.

"Yeah...I'm glad it's finally over," (Name) smiled. The ghost women's smiles faltered, resuming to three saddened facial expressions, like when they were behind the mirror in the Other World. They gathered around (Name) and bowed their heads in solace and sorrow.

"It is over and done with..." Mary continued, "For us, anyway. And the other women he'd trapped too,".

(Name) felt her stomach fill with dread as her heart sunk. "What about me?" she asked, her tone filling with worry and anxiety, "Why's it not over for me? What role do I play in this twisted series of events? This fairytale, a lie in disguise?".

The Indigenous woman, whose true name was Dyani, shifted uncomfortably. She couldn't keep it from (Name). She had a right to know. "You're in terrible danger, mistress!" Dyani exclaimed, "His wicked heart still desires you...and he will not stop until he reclaims you...for himself,".

(Name)'s heart sank and her stomach dropped. An expression of pure trepidation. Flabbergasted, she exclaimed, "But how?!". She ran a hand through her unruly hair, "I locked the door! I should be safe!".

The black key, which was connected to a long brown cord around her neck, floated out from beneath her pyjama t-shirt. "It's the key, milady," Dyani corrected, "There is only one and The Incubus will find it. No matter the costs". (Name) grabbed the floating key and stuffed it back down the front of her shirt.

"T'ain't all bad, mistress," the Irish woman, whose real name was Edythe, mentioned. All three of the ghost tenderly embraced (Name) in a hug, holding her close, "Thou art alive...thou art still living...".