Chapter 4

Lucy POV

I walked back to the kitchen with a confused expression on my face.

Who are those boys? Why do they look so familiar? Why did they react like that when they saw me?

Mike was waiting for me in the kitchen with his arms crossed over his chest.

“What the hell was that?” he asked as soon as I entered the kitchen. “Who are they? Do you know them?”

I shook my head. “No. But they say I look like someone they know.”

“Probably a relative.” Mike said. “You look like them.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

“You have the same hair.” Mike shrugged. “And eyes. I could see their green eyes from way over here.”

“Maybe.” I sighed as I poured the coffee into four mugs. “Get baking. I will bring them their coffee.”

“Okay.” Mike nodded. “Call me if you are feeling uncomfortable. They gave me a weird vibe.”

I smiled at Mike and walked out of the kitchen. The boys were leaning toward one another and whispering. I didn’t want to accidently overhear their conversation, so I purposely put a little more weight into my steps. They heard me coming and looked up at me.

“Here is your coffee.” I said with a small smile as I placed the tray down on the table. “Can I get you anything else? Water? Orange juice?”

“It’s okay, miss.” the guy that spoke to me earlier said. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how old are you? You seem a little bit young to be working.”

I picked the tray back up and looked at him with a small smile. I don’t blame him for asking. I don’t really look 16.

“I am 16, Sir.” I said politely. “I am a bit short. I guess I have genetics to thank for that.”

I am pretty sure that it is not genetics’ fault. My mom was tall. My poor nutrition and abuse led to me being short. But they don’t need to know that. Nobody needs to know that.

The guy to my right clenched his fists, and the guy next to him grabbed his arm again. I gulped nervously. What is wrong with him?

“I heard your friend calling you by your name.” the guy continued talking to me, and I looked back up at him. “Your name is Lucy, right?”

“Yes, Sir.” I said with a small smile.

“Please, call me Ezra.” he said, smiling back at me.

His name sounded familiar. Do I know anyone named Ezra?

“Is there a hotel nearby, Lucy?” Ezra continued. “My brothers and I came here to hike, so we will be staying for a while.”

“There is a hotel nearby.” I said. “And there is another one about 45 minutes away.”

I wasn’t surprised when he asked about the hotel. A lot of people come here to hike. Most of them stay at the hotel closer to the city. It is a lot bigger and a lot fancier than the one we have here. I didn’t want to say anything like that to them, because I didn’t want to offend them. They do look like they have money, but looks could be deceiving.

“Oh, the one here will be perfect.” Ezra smiled. “Can we come in here for lunch and dinner as well?”

“Sure.” I smiled. “I’m sure you will love everything that Mike makes for you.”

“Lulu!” I heard Mike calling me by his nickname for me. “The order is ready.”

I smiled politely. “I will go get your food.”

Ezra nodded with a small smile. The others were just staring at me. I wonder what’s going on with them.

I walked into the kitchen, and Mike already had a couple of plates in his hands.

“I will help you.” he said, motioning for me to take the rest of the plates.

I nodded. “Thank you.”

Mike and I walked back to the table. I couldn’t help but notice the glares that the boys gave Mike. If looks could kill, he would be long gone. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. What is that about?

Mike and I finished serving them, and I gave them a small smile.

“Enjoy.” I said. “If you need anything, please feel free to call me.”

Mike took my hand in his, pulling me away from the table. Ezra gave me a small smile and the rest of the boys looked at my hand in Mike’s. Their jaws clenched and they looked pissed as hell.

What is wrong? I wish I could ask them.

Mike pulled me back to the kitchen. I could feel their eyes on me the whole time.

“I will finish serving them.” Mike said as soon as we walked inside the kitchen. “I don’t trust them. They are looking at you weirdly.”

“It’s okay, Mike.” I smiled. “I’m sure they are just sleepy and hungry.”

I noticed their weird glances too, but I didn’t like the way they looked at Mike. If they are dangerous, and I somehow think that they are not, I believe that Mike is in more danger than I am.

“Lucy…” Mike began speaking, but he was interrupted when the doors to the diner opened.

I looked outside and groaned.

Jack.

Why is he here at this hour? He should be at home passed out. I can see that he is hungover.

“Lucy!” I heard him calling me.

“Is that Jack?” Mike asked me as he turned around to finish making a fresh batch of pancakes.

“Yes.” I sighed.

“Are you okay?” Mike asked me.

He doesn’t know about the abuse, but it doesn’t really take a smart man to know that Jack is not a pleasant person. Mike doesn’t like him, and I can’t really blame him.

“Lucy Smith!” Jack called again.

I left the kitchen quickly. I didn’t want him to make a scene. It wouldn’t be the first time.

“Yes, dad?” I said as soon as I walked over to the counter where he was sitting.

When we are out, I have to call him “dad”. At home, he is “Sir”.

“Coffee.” he said, glaring at me. “Now.”

I nodded, grabbed a mug, and poured him some coffee. I placed it before him, and he continued glaring at me.

“Why the hell are you here?” he asked me quietly. “Since when do you work in the morning?”

“School is over, dad.” I said. “I took the morning shift as well to earn some more money.”

Jack smirked. I guess he will just take it for himself. Like he always does.

“You didn’t think to inform your father?” he asked.

“I told you, dad.” I said as calmly as I could.

I don’t want him to say I was rude. He would definitely punish me for that.

Jack rolled his eyes and drank his coffee in one sip. He placed the mug back on the counter and looked back up at me.

“I will see you back home.” he said coldly.

I could hear the threat behind his sentence, and it made me shiver. I won’t be escaping his punishment after all. The only hope I have is that he will be too drunk to notice that I came home.