Chapter 40

Lucy POV

I was in the kitchen, rummaging through the freezer on my quest to find ice cream.

I needed ice cream and I needed it badly.

I was on edge the last couple of days. Meeting new people and being surrounded by them constantly had me tense. I was always alone when I lived with Jack, and it was a huge change to be around this many people all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my family and friends, but I needed some time alone.

And ice cream. I needed ice cream.

Since my family moved into the house next door, I haven’t had a minute to myself. They wanted to spend time with me and get to know me, which meant that they were here all the time. Also, Theo and Noah couldn’t be separated from me with a crowbar.

I feel like shit complaining about something trivial like that. I should be happy that they want to be with me all the time. It’s just too many people. My anxiety was through the roof, and on top of all that, I got my period this morning.

My lower belly hurt like hell and I was sick. It’s been a while since I had my period and it was like the first time all over again. When that nice gynecologist examined me at the hospital, she explained that I lost my period due to malnutrition and stress. Now that I’m eating properly and nobody is using my body as a punching bag, my period is back.

My hand touched a small, round container, and I almost cried in relief.

Ben and Jerry’s Cookie Dough ice cream. A girl’s best friend.

I smiled, grabbed a spoon, and sat down on the kitchen counter.

I knew my brothers wouldn’t agree with my choice of breakfast, but it was 6 am and I knew they wouldn’t be awake. The only reason I woke up this early was pain.

Cramps woke me up from my peaceful sleep around 5 am. I barely managed to wiggle my way out of Noah and Theo’s arms. I took a shower, put on the comfiest outfit I could find, and ran out of my room to find ice cream.

The comfiest outfit I could find was a pair of short sweats and an oversize t-shirt, which I was pretty sure wasn’t oversize because it was made like that, but because it was Noah’s. I obviously grabbed the wrong one. But I couldn’t care less. It was comfy and neither my shirt nor my sweats put pressure on my lower belly. It was all I could ask for.

“Ice cream for breakfast, really, Shortcake?” a voice startled me, making me choke on a piece of cookie dough in the ice cream.

“Oh, shit, baby, sorry.” Dylan mumbled as he ran to me, patting my back as I coughed.

“What are you doing here so early?” I mumbled, trying to take a deep breath.

“I went on a run.” Dylan answered, watching me worriedly. “Do you need water?”

I nodded, and he went to the fridge to grab me a bottle. I opened the cap and gulped the water down. It helped and I could breathe normally.

“Sorry, Shortcake.” Dylan said. “I made so much noise walking inside the house and I was sure that you heard me.”

“Ben and Jerry had my undivided attention.” I said, smiling at him and taking the spoon back into my hand.

“I can see that.” Dylan chuckled, sitting on the counter opposite me.

“Why are you here and not in your house?” I asked him.

“I saw the light was on.” he said, smirking. “I thought it was Liam and I wanted to annoy him for a while. You know, to make sure his day started off on the right note.”