Chapter 44

Liam POV

They were late.

I could already hear Theo and Noah’s shouting. I knew that it was only a matter of time before they barged into my office.

I picked up my phone and called Lucy, but it went straight to voicemail.

My blood ran cold.

With shaky hands, I tried calling grandpa.

The line rang, and I sighed in relief.

But he didn’t pick up the call.

The door to my office opened and Ezra walked inside with a worried expression on his face.

“Where are they, Liam?” he asked quietly.

Theo and Noah’s shouting became louder.
I looked down at my phone and called Reece.

He didn’t pick up. Reece always picks up my calls. He has to. It’s his job.

My fists clenched and my fear almost made me choke.

Something happened.

“Liam.” Ezra called me, staring through the window overlooking the driveway. “One of the SUVs is here.”

My body worked on its own, sending me through the door of my study. I heard the front door slamming against the wall as Theo and Noah stepped out of the house.

“WHERE IS SHE?” Theo screamed, grabbing Reece by the collar.

Dylan ran to him, pulling him off of Reece and locking his arms around him.

Reece looked at me, his eyes filled with fear and regret. He really liked and cared about Lucy.

Ezra grabbed Noah, who was shaking with his fists clenched.

“Reece?” I called him, my voice trembling.

“We were ambushed, boss.” Reece said, standing up straight and fixing his tie. “Your grandfather is in the hospital. Miss Ferri has been taken, sir.”

My heart stopped beating.

I could hear the police sirens getting closer.
Reece must have called them.

I saw police cars pulling up. I saw my uncle running from the house next door. I saw Peter stepping out of the police car. I saw my brothers and cousins breaking down in pain all around me.

I saw everything, but I couldn’t move.

My body shut down.

Taken.

She was taken.

_______________

Ezra POV

Noah’s scream startled me.

He started trashing in my arms and I almost dropped him.

“Ezra?” I heard Peter’s voice calling me.

I looked up at him. My vision was blurry. I blinked and something wet fell on my cheek.

“Ezra?” Peter called me again.

I focused on him, my eyes darting to his lips, trying to figure out what the hell he was telling me.

Noah’s fists punched my sides, making me loosen my grip on him. I watched him as he ran toward Theo, who was kneeling on the ground, pulling on his hair with a tight grip. Noah wrapped his hands around him, sobbing uncontrollably.

“Ezra?” I heard Peter’s voice again.

I looked at him. His face held so much seriousness that my stomach twisted painfully.