Chapter 17

75 years of Independence, not easy to build what we have today when we were left in ruins by the colonials!

This day marks the end of innumerable hardships and sacrifices done by the people of this country for us to openly express our thoughts! Every right, opportunity we have today is owed to them!

Not forgetting the present day heroes who protect us from enemies or diseases, ensuring our health and safety every day! It is our responsibility to be a nation our ancestors visualised seventy five years back!

*_*_*_*

Mahesh stood up to welcome the Shah's and Mehek followed suit but she was worried about what Jigar might think. She never got around to telling him about these thoughts. Somewhere or the other this topic was dismissed faster than it was discussed.

She risked a glance at Jigar, he was talking with her brother who had magically appeared as the guests arrived. They were discussing the celebrations of Independence day while Mehek went inside. She should, as well, bring some tea for the guests.

By the time Mehek came out of the kitchen, the priest had arrived and the fathers were discussing something with him accompanied by the mothers.

The priest said, " There are two good Muhurats, one is fifteen days from now and the other is six months later. After that straight two years later."

Mehek broke a sweat when she saw the parents discussing. Was it even up for discussion? How can she get married within fifteen days?

" Beta, humaari maano to Pandhra din ke baad shaadi Kara lo! Kitna bhi time mile, kuch na kuch to chhutega hi, usse accha abhi sab ho jaayga.", Said Jigar's grandmother. She had arrived just yesterday and was already impressed by Patel's.

Mehek's eyes widened and she looked at Jigar, who was already looking at her.  Jigar saw how disturbed she was with the proposal. He put a hand on his grandmother's shoulder and said, "Daadi, come on! How can we get married so soon? Give me some time to enjoy my bachelor days."

Everyone chuckled at his excuse but nobody considered it. Mehek saw how Daadi gave a look to Aditya and then how he persuaded her father into agreeing for the fifteen days proposal. She felt helpless at how fast the pace was. Her mind could not decipher what was right and wrong.

She simply looked at everyone and taking a big breath she asked, " It is our wedding, right? Don't we have a say? Do I not have a say?"

Her mother, Sunita's eyes widened and she pulled her daughter down to sit beside her.

Mehek's eyes were filled with unshed tears. She was just thinking if she compromised now, she will have to compromise again and again. How was it fair? Why could she not stand up for her own rights?

Jigar saw how everybody has fallen silent and also saw how his grandmother was unhappy with Mehek's voice.

" Mom, Dad, Daadi, everyone, Mehek is right. It is our marriage. We should be deciding the dates. Why do you all want to work at the last moment when we will have six months to do everything at a proper pace? Plus she clearly is uncomfortable. It is not easy uprooting your life within fifteen days!"

" Humne to humaare zamane me kiya tha! Aaj kya problem hai?", Daadi said. ( We did it in our times! What is the problem today?)

" Aapka zamana alag tha! Aaj ladka-ladki dono equal hote hai shaadi me aur agar usko itne jaldi shaadi nahi karni hai to kyu? Apne Marzi se aaram se 6 mahine baad shaadi kar lenge." ( Your time was different. Today both male and female are equal in a marriage and if she is not ready to get married so soon then why not? We will get married after six months.)

" 6 mahine baad hum nahi aayenge tumhare shaadi me dekh lo beta!" ( I won't be coming to your wedding after six months so decide accordingly!), Daadi warned.

Mahesh Patel had had enough. Daadi was not ready to compromise and Jigar was placed in a tough position. Mehek was not wrong but she needed to act practically at the moment. So he said, "Aisi nobat hi nahi aaygi Maaji, Mehek ko koi problem nahi hai. Ye shaadi agle Pandhra din me ho jaaygi!" ( It won't come down to this, Aunt. Mehek has no problems. The wedding will happen in next fifteen days.)

Mehek swallowed hard and nodded in confirmation to her father's words. She also didn't wish to see the elders fight so much. Moreover Jigar was thrown in a tough spot and how could she not help him!

Jigar looked at her and she blinked her eyes, as if saying it was alright.

As the guests left after finalising the dates, Mehek went upstairs. She didn't talk to anybody in the house. She was slightly disappointed at how they didn't understand how she felt and defended her and unknowingly the moment from morning flashed in front of her eyes.

The mother-in-law mourning at the birth of her granddaughter, was this the actual reality of this society? Are the girl's parents inferior, why are they the ones compromising at the cost of their daughters happiness for her happiness?

Maybe the woman had different reasons but unless the society gave equal rights to both the families it would always be the same. Knowingly or unknowingly.

She promised herself that day, " If I ever have a daughter, I'll make her far more independent than I ever was. She will not depend on her parents so no thoughts of betrayal will ever cross her mind!"