Chapter 21

Mere haath me,
Tera haath ho,
Saari jannatein tere saath ho.
Tu jo paas ho phir kya ye jahaan
Tere pyaar me ho jaau fanaa

The speaker played the song at its strongest might but it could not shake Mehek out of her world.

The girl had woken up to an empty bed and she looked around for any sign of her accompaniment. She opened the door to the balcony and to the bathroom only to find them both empty. She sat down beside her bed and went to pick a glass of water when her hand touched a paper. She opened it only to find a few words scrambled on it.

Mehek,
I couldn't stay longer as anybody who would have spotted me going out of your room in broad daylight would have made a big issue out of it. I hope you understand.

-Jigar

She didn't know what to think of it and simply called him. He picked up the phone, " Hello?",his voice was still sleepy meaning she woke him up.

" Jigar, when did you leave last night?"

" Around three or four, I don't remember.", He mumbled sleepily.

" Did you not catch a wink of sleep while staying here?", She asked politely.

" I wanted to but I had to leave before anyone could catch me. So I.."

" I understand. You could have at least woken me up.", She mumbled.

" You were sleeping peacefully. Didn't feel like waking you up.", He yawned.

" Okay, you go back to sleep."

" Yes. Goodnight.", He yawned and kept the phone down.

Mehek chuckled as she too wished him a Goodnight. She got up and cleared her room. After that she had her bath and went downstairs to begin her day.

" Mehek beta, I made your favourite Aloo ke paranthe for breakfast.", yelled Sunita as soon as Mehek peeked into the kitchen.

Mehek laughed aloud at her enthusiasm and sat down on the dining table, ready to devour the delicacy.

Her mother brought her dish and fed her with her own hands.

" Mom, I can eat with my hands!", She whined.

Sunita hit her lightly on the cheek and fed her a bigger bite," Last night, I thought a lot about what happened yesterday. I agreed with your father's words and therefore I am going to make all your favourites."

Mehek chuckled and hugged her mother sideways. The moment was interrupted by the snap of a camera and the women pulled apart.

The Shah's were standing behind her father who had clicked the photo. Sunita quickly composed herself and went ahead to greet the Shah's and Mehek followed suit.

When her eyes landed on Jigar, she narrowed them, he should have been sleeping right? He with his eyes pointed at his mother and Mehek understood what had happened. She shaked her head while controlling her laugh and joined in on the conversation.

Sunita asked them to have a few Paranthe as well and it turned out to be a feast. But what was most relieving to Jigar was, how Mehek smiled freely without an ounce of stress marring her features.

Once done with the breakfast, the Shah's prompted to visit the wedding hall and look after all the preparations and also they had to hire a choreographer for the dances. The plan was disturbed with a shrill ringtone.

Mehek quickly clutched her phone and answered it.

" Hello?"

" Madam! Please come fast we have a distress case."

Mehek's eyes widened and she shot commands on the call.

As she kept the phone down, she noticed the entire living room has turned silent and was staring at her. She sighed, " I have an emergency section, distress. You guys please carry on, I'll join as soon as I can."

Mehek's parents nodded and Jigar's also did. Daadi, too, agreed reluctantly, afterall the baby's life was at risk.

Mehek rushed to the hospital while others began the tasks for the day. As they were discussing the wedding plans, Mehek called and she was beckoned to the wedding venue.

As the bride arrived, the wedding planner described her everything and she made a few changes to her liking.

They soon left to go visit the choreographer and thankfully Mehek and Jigar landed in Mehek's car. She took the wheel, afterall she couldn't risk her baby with anybody including Jigar.

Jigar asked, " Have you thought anything about my question?"

She hummed.

" If you want to delay stuff please tell me soon. I can only break their hearts to an extent.", He said.

She sighed, " What makes you think today that I want to delay?"

" You did want to delay till yesterday. How can it be changed suddenly?", He questioned.

" Because you made me see things with a different perspective. You were right, with the right person even two days are enough and for me it was just one night."

Jigar was at a loss of words. He was happy at how she accepted everything and he didn't have to break anybody's hearts.

" Thank you, Mehek. Thank you so much!"

" No thanking me. I should apologise, I had this idea of spending a lot of time together before committing but with you, a night made me see things clearer."

Jigar smiled, " So do you want to make any changes with the shopping done?"

" No, I'm quite happy with all the stuff bought. Thankfully for me, the groom matters more than all these material things."

Jigar smiled wide and Mehek pulled over, the destination had arrived.

Sunita looked at the happy faces of the children and she felt happier. Her Mehek was happy that's what mattered at the end of day.

The choreographer was booked and Mehek was dropped at the hospital with a promise to attend the practice in the evening and Jigar was the happiest of them all.

Finally, things were coming around.