• Thirteen

Two chairs were pulled out and the two men joined the ladies at their large table on the opposite end since they had been huddled on one side.

"What are you doing here?" Gwen grinned as he peered at the girls who looked astonished as if they had been caught doing something they weren't supposed to.

He had interacted with Faye a few times especially after he once caught her carrying herbs for sale, something a lady was prohibited from. He later learned from James, a servant at the Heather's ,that the young lady always prepared them.

"We're just having some afternoon tea," Faye replied shooting him a nervous laugh.

"But I don't see any tea," Gwen exclaimed staring at the folded junk on the table that looked suspicious.

Before the girls could even reply, Gwen shrieked once more remembering his master had come along with him and he'd gone silent even though he was normally a quiet man.

He briefly glanced at him before introducing him to the girls. They had perhaps not heard about him since he had just returned home after being away for so long.

"This is Sir Arthur, the head knight." He said as he eyed the girls reactions. They didn't seem to get shocked at that seeing they didn't show any indifference. They had perhaps known him or heard about him.

The latter was more fitting from the information he had gathered so far. He gently nudged Sir Arthur's side motioning him to say something.

His master had been rigid the whole time they sat at the table and Gwen was beginning to reconsider his decision for joining them.

Sir Arthur nodded at the maidens as if to acknowledge them all. He didn't say anything further but that was how he was.

Lily being the sensible person she was introduced herself as well as the girls who had been ogling at the quiet man before them. Faye was basically observing but Kim seemed to have gone on another planet.

"You seemed to have been doing something interesting earlier," Gwen spoke once again trying to pry the folded paper out Faye's hold.

"That doesn't concern you!" Faye retorted back pulling the papers on her side. She and Gwen always seemed to be arguing at all times they had met.

"Are you still selling herbs?" Gwen asked slowly with his head lowered. It was meant only for Faye to hear but when all heads whipped towards him, he knew he had spoken of something he wasn't supposed to.

He straightened himself in his seat staring back at them. Lily and Faye then shifted their attention to Kim who had been quiet the entire time.

That's when it clicked why the man had been oddly familiar. She had encountered him one time they were at the market with Faye and he seemed to be a mutual friend of hers.

She didn't know that he was aware about their business there. Faye had never mentioned anything concerning him so she thought no one knew entirely about it.

"It was supposed to remain between us!" Faye irritatedly spoke as she worriedly looked at Kim. She didn't want her to think that she had exposed her big secret.

As if Gwen had realized what he had done, he gulped before shooting from his seat and rushed forwards. He stood before Lady Kimberly before bowing his head and frantically spoke.

"I'm sorry my lady, I didn't know. I thought it was all for Faye, she didn't say anything. I sincerely apologize for my outburst." Gwen pleaded his eyes downcast.

"It's okay," Kim answered feeling uncomfortable that someone was bowing to her. She glanced at him nodding in reassurance that everything was alright and motioned him to return to his seat.