• Thirty-three

Kimberly followed Matteo a smile almost forming despite her teary face. His warm hand made her sigh in content a foreign feeling flowing through her body. She didn't hear when he spoke first.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" He asked again his eyes filled with worry as they stood close to the exit stalls. The crowd had dispersed and they were no longer the center of attention.

She shook her head looking up at him in assurance even when her wrists hurt from the tight grip by Talia. She had been selling her medicine well until Talia showed up and took hold of her hands rather painfully.

She criticized her in front of everyone about doing a man's task and pulled her from her stall. She stumbled and in the process everything got scattered as jeers went all over. She could feel the tears coming out again.

"It's okay now," Matteo pulled her closer and she buried her face in the warmth of his firm and large chest. She was beyond relieved that he'd shown up just when she was seconds away from disintegrating.

"Next time don't come alone," she pulled away at his words wiping away the tears at the corners of her eyes. "I'll accompany you, okay?" He said, his voice earnest holding both of her hands tenderly as he stared deep into her eyes, wanting her to understand that he was making a promise to her.

Kim nodded at him her stomach flipping at how sweet he was being. She melted into his arms when placed his hand around her waist rather possessively. She didn't mind, it made her feel safe.

They had just walked a few steps when she caught the sight of Zaine. She rushed over to the horse breaking free from Matteo's hold. He followed behind her craving the contact again. The horse neighed at her moving it's legs back and forth in excitement.

"How is she here?" She turned to him, a jovial look present. He was glad she'd managed a smile at the sight of her horse. "I came with her," he replied gauging her reaction. It was rude to use someone's possession without their permission.

"How so? Zaine doesn't let anyone else ride her." She stared forth between her horse and Matteo in wonder. Faye got bounced off one time she'd tried riding her. No one dared approach her later on.

Sir Arthur deflated at her words. She wasn't even bothered by it. He moved closer to them a smile taking over his stoic features. Kim stared up at him in wonder and the stroking on Zaine stopped when she felt his hand over hers.

"We came looking for you," he answered framing her hair out of her face. Her eyes widely looked up at him and her cheeks became rosier. His thumb grazed over them and he felt happy at how the color got darker.

They basked in each other's presence till Zaine began to move his feet aggressively. The horse was an attention seeker. Kim rolled her eyes in her thoughts.

"Your friend, Faye is here too." Matteo told her as soon as they teared apart. He however didn't pull away from her. Her soft hand still remained in his. He liked the feeling that came with holding her hand.

"Oh my, Lily must be here too!" Kim exclaimed. She was so intent on coming to town that she forgot they'd come looking for her. "Let's go meet Faye first," she pulled his hand along as he took Zaine along with them.

There was a particular store that they always frequented every-time they came to town and she was very sure Faye would be waiting there. It was a snack store, precisely a cake stall. They ate tones of them that the man had to drive them away.

They rounded the place in just a few minutes. It was filled with children, just as it usually did. Though she didn't mind it, she looked up at Matteo to check if he was okay with going in. He was tall. She doubted he'd make it past the door and if he did, she could only picture the children's reactions.

He didn't seem to have any of that because after securing Zaine on one empty stable, he followed her in. Kimberly had to bite down a grin. His hand rested on her lower back when she almost knocked on a table. How embarrassing her clumsiness could be.

Almost half of the children stared at them as soon as they walked in while the other half munched on their cakes. Kim giggled at the sight quickly sweeping across the room for Faye. Matteo followed the sound, his face dazed.

There she was at the corner, surrounded by three children. He didn't even register her words when she uttered something till she pulled him along when his eyes seemed to focus.

"Faye," Kim called out to the girl who was laughing at something the children were saying. Their parents were also seated beside them happy features on their faces. Faye stood up immediately at Kim's presence.

"I've been waiting for you," she pulled her into an embrace and then pulled back. "Where were you? You left without a word!" Faye attempted to scold her but ended up pulling her into another hug.

"I'm so sorry," Kim sighed at her actions. Faye excused herself from the children and the trio walked to the other end. Matteo noticed as the man at the counter waved them over. The girls were too busy to notice and he sighed in relief.

Faye filled Kim about her brother's appearance that morning and Lily going to the market in search of her. They had to leave immediately before word got to her parents.

"Let's buy some cakes first," Kim whined not having eaten them in a month. Faye pulled out her remaining coins to check how many they could buy. Kim had no money on her.

"Ladies," the man drawled out rather happily as the girls approached and Matteo pulled on a scowl at him. "It's been a while, what can I get you?" He smiled at them completely ignoring Matteo which infuriated him further.

"Just our usual," Kim replied and turned to Matteo once she felt a tug on her hand. A frown showed on his face and she stood on her toes to whisper to him, "We're getting rice cakes, do you want some?" Faye stood in front of them pointing at the exact ones she wanted.

He nodded after a while and fished out several coins placing them on the counter. Faye turned to him but he motioned her to pay with that. She took them when Kim nodded and smiled. It meant more cakes.

They finished everything and were back to the stables to pick their horses. Faye took out hers as Matteo took Zaine out. He looked at Kim wanting her to ride with him though he respected her wishes.

Faye being the smart girl she was took the cakes from Kim and pushed her to Sir Arthur's side. "Let's go," she urged them as soon as she mounted her own horse and secured the cakes.

Matteo moved first mounting on the horse then helped Kim up. They rode in silence after Faye. It was not until that he spoke that she almost swayed over were it not for the reigns she held on so tightly.

She'd been aware of his presence behind her though when he spoke suddenly, her body shook. "I need to buy something," his deep voice resonated in her ears like a soft song that got carried away in the wind.

Kim nodded mutely and called onto Faye who then stopped as her braids bounced when she alighted. Matteo rushed to a nearby store and the girls awaited him. He was back in no time where he stood before Kim and pulled out her hand softly.

He lifted her sleeves slightly and took out the cream he'd bought and gently applied on the bruised parts. He looked up at her as he applied the cream taking note of her face, wanting to be as gentle as possible.

Faye stared at them in surprise. How they had forgotten that she was still in their presence. She had questions too about Kim's bruises though with how sweet they were being, she'd better ask later. She turned around and got on her horse.

"Is it better?" He asked after he had finished applying the cream. She nodded at him pulling her sleeves down. He seemed content with her answer as he smiled ever so slightly and pulled out something from his coat pockets.

"It's getting windier and the paths are dusty, put on this." He stretched out a purple shawl and Kim was at a loss of words. She didn't pick it immediately so he walked closer and helped her put it on.

He lifted her silky hair and tied all round and after securing it all in, he framed the few strands on her face and stepped away. Kim however pulled his hand back and smiled warmly at him, "Thank you."

✿ ✿ ✿