9

It was now Sunday, and Yelena was sick. Maria knew it would happen at some point. It was inevitable with two children; one of them attending a public school, but she didn't expect for it to be this soon. With how Natasha was out mixing with other kids five days a week, she was under the impression that if anyone was to get sick, it would be her.

But it was Yelena, and she didn't quite understand how it had happened.

The seven year old was laying with Maria in her bed, clad in just a diaper and a tank top -Maria had figured out the hard way that Yelena was more prone to accidents when she was sick- and she was looking awfully sorry for herself. Her cheeks were red and flushed, eyes heavy with her fever induced haze. She was doped up on as much medicine as she was allowed, and there was no more Maria could do other than hold her.

Natasha had been a big help. She'd snuggled with her sister and brought her drinks, but the twelve year old was more intrigued with her new books and Maria wasn't going to put a stop to that. She was on her third Percy Jackson book now, and was steadily making her way through at least one book every other day.

Natasha was in her room now, Maria thinks. She'd brought up some snacks and drink for her, and Natasha had given her a hug before snuggling up in her bed. Whilst she was thankful Natasha was old enough to entertain herself for a few hours whilst she looked after her sister, Maria hated leaving the girl by herself. But with how sick Yelena was, it was hard to split her attention equally between both girls. She did try and sit with Natasha whilst Yelena napped, but the little one would wake with a bad dream almost every time she left and settling her back down was growing increasingly more difficult.

Once Yelena was better, she'd allow Natasha a few more later nights so they could spend some one on one time together. Hopefully that would make it up to her.

Yelena let's out a muffled cough into her chest, and Maria gently shushes her as she trails her hand up and down her back. The girl was once again sprawled on top of her, head settled between her breasts with her hand clutching the bottom of her shirt against the skin of her stomach.

It was the only position that had soothed her enough to keep her still, and Maria knew it was because it was a mimic of the way a new born would bond with their mothers; with the feel of their skin and the sound of their heartbeats.

"It's okay baby," she murmurs, pressing her lips against the scolding skin of her forehead. "take a deep breath."

Yelena blinks heavily, her finger hanging out of her mouth. Maria was making sure to keep the little hands clean, because she knew the girl was relying on the concept of suckling for comfort now more than ever.

"Maria?"

The woman flickers her eyes over to the doorway of her room and see's Natasha stood there.

"Hi sweet girl. You okay?" Maria pats the spot next to them, wanting Natasha to know she was more than welcome to join them if she wanted.

Natasha smiles and climbs into the bed. She doesn't settle in Maria's arms like normal, because she knew her sister needed more comfort and attention than she did right now, but she still wanted to be close.

"I'm okay. Can I read in here?" She asks hopefully.

Maria nods, reaching for the girls had and giving it a small squeeze, "Of course baby. You're welcome in here any time I am."

Natasha smiles and presses a kiss against her sisters head, "She's really hot." She mumbles as she pulls away and sends the woman a look of concern, and Maria nods her head.

"She is. But she's had her medicine, and I've checked her temperature. She's okay sweet girl." Maria reassures, and Natasha eyes her sister in concern for a moment before letting out a small sigh of acceptance.