17

And a long night it was. For whatever reason; whether it be the new environment or something else entirely, Yelena just wouldn't settle. It took Maria holding the sobbing girl in her arms under the warm steam of the shower for her to even doze off, and whilst at time time Maria was grateful for the silence, waking up after just three hours of sleep the next day with the knowledge she still had over five hours of driving ahead of her made her wish she'd gone about it differently.

"Mommy?" Forcing her eyes open, Maria glances to her left where a sleepy looking Natasha was gazing at them with a small smile.

She didn't have to force the smile she gives the girl in return, "Hi baby," she greets, reaching out to cup her cheek. Natasha takes this as an invitation to cuddle close, and Maria easily welcomes her.

It was silent for a few moments, until Natasha breaks it, "Why's lena in your shirt?" She questions, sounding awfully amused, and Maria snorts slightly as she pulls the neckline of her shirt away from her body to peek down.

There Yelena was, curled up against her bare chest with her thumb firmly in her mouth. Her little cheek was smushed against her flesh, causing the skin by her eye to crinkle up.

"I have no idea," Maria huffs a laugh as she drops her head back down onto her pillow, rubbing tiredly at her eyes. "But she's quiet, and that's all I really care about."

Natasha hums as her head settles against the woman's shoulder, her lips quirking up into a smile when she feels an arm settle firmly around her. It was a further ten minutes when Maria forces them all up, and she soothes Natasha's frown by pressing a tender kiss to her forehead.

She then regretfully pulls Yelena out of her shirt, wincing at the quiet whine she receives in response.

"I know," she soothes as she rises to her feet with Yelena on her hip, giving her padded behind a few pats. "But we're going to Disney today, remember?" She attempts to cheer the grumpy little one up, but she was met with a grunt of dismay.

Natasha sends Maria a look that says, today is gonna suck, and the woman nods in silent agreement as takes the tweens hand and pulls her through to the bathroom. Whilst Natasha uses the bathroom, Maria sets Yelena down onto the counter and grabs a cloth before soaking it with warm water.

She then begins to wash the little ones face, soothing each and every tired whine and whimper with a kiss to the head. Soon, she hoists Natasha onto the counter too, repeating the same steps with her.

Natasha was much more compliant, and she rewards her with a kiss to the cheek, "Alright girls," she wrings out the cloth and hangs it up before lifting both girls to the floor, "go pick out your clothes whilst mama gets ready, okay?"

Yelena immediately pouts.

Natasha, seeing her sisters hesitance, takes her hand in her own and gently leads her out of the room giving Maria some much needed privacy. The woman closes the door behind her girls and lets out a quiet sigh as she turns to use the bathroom herself.

It was just as she goes to wipe that the bathroom door opens again, and in comes a half naked, sobbing Yelena clutching her blanket to her face. The little one, completely ignoring her mothers vulnerable position, comes to stand by her and buries her head into her chest.

Maria, feeling equally confused as concerned, wraps her free arm around the sobbing girl and holds her close.

"Give mama a second," she coaxes after a few seconds as she eases Yelena away, and the little one nods pitifully as she watches her mother wipe and flush before quickly yet thoroughly washing her hands.