13

As the next few days pass, it becomes clear to Maria that whatever sickness Yelena had, it had somehow been passed onto Natasha. However, the young girl was refusing point blank to even admit that anything was wrong. She'd gone to school, like usual. She'd had her afternoon snack whilst doing her homework, as usual. She'd even cleared her plate at dinner despite the fact she looked almost green with disgust. And now, she was getting ready for bed as though she was under the assumption Maria was letting her go to school tomorrow.

It was insane to Maria if she was being honest. She was way older than Natasha, and even if she had the tiniest of sicknesses she'd want to lay in bed all day and sleep.

Maria lets out a quiet sigh as she eases a sleeping Yelena down onto her bed, running a gentle hand through her hair and pressing a kiss to her forehead before heading over to Natasha's bed.

She doesn't even have to say anything for Natasha to look away from her defiantly, and she knew there was no point in pushing. Natasha was stubborn, so it would only be useless. She'd see if things were better tomorrow, and if not, the child would be staying home. The fact that she was going unmedicated was concerning her also, but she knew she had to try and trust Natasha's judgment, even if Maria knew it wasn't to reliable.

"Okay, sweet dreams. You know where I am if you need me." She murmurs, pressing a kiss to the hot skin of her forehead before rising to her feet with the intention of leaving the room.

"Love you." Natasha calls, and Maria smiles with her hand on the door handle as she turns around.

"I love you too." She returns, and she eyes Natasha for a short moment later before disappearing from sight.

Much to her dismay, the only disturbance she gets during the night was Yelena climbing into bed with her. She takes the little one into her arms easily, but was still concerned about Natasha. The girl wasn't one to come to you for help. She'd suffer in silence until confronted. Maria has a feeling that's what it would come to, and she was honestly dreading it.

The next morning, she finds herself in the kitchen making breakfast with Yelena on her hip. It was past the time Natasha was normally up and about, and that was another reason Maria knew she was really sick. Since she'd gotten here, Natasha had not once slept in. Not ever.

"Where's tasha?" Yelena murmurs into her shoulder, and Maria gives her padded behind a soothing pat as she adjusts her in her arms slightly.

"She's still sleeping baby," Maria tells her, "I'll go wake her up in a little while." After adding Nutella to Yelena's toast, she sets the little one down in her seat, buckles her up and places her food down in front of her.

"Eat up baby, I'll be right back."

"I love you mama." Yelena calls as she takes a bite of her toast, chocolate covering her mouth as she happily chews.

Maria smiles in amusement, "I love you little one."

Yelena grins at her, and Maria places a kiss to her head before leaving the kitchen. 

She climbs up the stairs quickly, but stops in the doorway of the girls bedroom when she see's Natasha already awake and stumbling around the room.

"Natasha?" She questions.

The girl whips herself round, her face pale yet flushed and dripping with sweat. She had her backpack in her grasp, and Maria eyes her in concern as she steps fully into the room and gently takes it from her before setting it back onto her bed. She then places a gentle hand on her forehead, refraining from showing her alarm when she feels the scolding hot skin.

"Go put your pyjamas on." Maria tells the girl, and Natasha's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You're sick," Maria tells her, "I'm not letting you go to school when you're sick. Go put your pyjamas on and come downstairs for some medicine."