10

Natasha watches her sister with wide eyes, the little one laying on the floor throwing an almighty tantrum. It was the Saturday after the long term foster placement had been accepted, and they'd just gotten back from a celebration dinner which had consisted of pizza.

Maria had anticipated this tantrum since the girls had come to her, and the cause of it was not being able to go out in the backyard of all things. Whilst she was 7, Maria was well aware she wasn't that age mentally. It shows by how she acts, how she responds to things. Her development was delayed quite a bit, as was Natasha's, so tantrums from both were expected.

But she didn't think not being able to go outside would cause something like this. Yelena was sprawled out on her back on the kitchen floor, body heaving with loud cries. Maria had already scolded her for kicking the cabinets in an effort to get somebody's attention, so she'd taken to just screaming and thrashing for all that it was worth.

As glad as Maria was that Yelena was comfortable enough to express herself and test the boundaries, she wishes she'd chosen a different room to do so. The kitchen was echoey due to the size and emptiness, and it only made the sound of her cries all the more louder.

Natasha was quite obviously anxious with Yelena's behaviour, but she knew she had to wait it out. When tired, talking sense into the seven year old just wasn't something Maria could or would do. She had to be patient and wait until Yelena was ready to talk.

"If you'd like to go get ready for bed, you're more than welcome to." Maria pulls Natasha close with an arm over her shoulder.

Natasha eyes her sister before shaking her head. She trusted Maria. More than she's ever trusted anyone in her whole entire life, but Yelena had never thrown a tantrum like this before, and she was unsure on how Maria would punish her. She had to be here, just in case it was bad and she had to protect her.

Maria nods in knowingly. She suspects she knows why Natasha doesn't want to move, and she has to respect that.

"Mama." Yelena cries, stomach heaving.

Maria walks over and crouches down, "Are you ready to talk to mama like a big girl now?" She asks, keeping her voice soft so Yelena knew she wasn't mad.

The girl nods with a stifled sob, and Maria was quick to grasp her by the armpits and lift her up into her arms. Yelena settles on her front, arms tight around Maria's shoulders. By now, her screeching cries were no more than soft sobs, and Maria quietly shushes her as she grazes her hand up and down her back.

She brings her to the couch, gesturing for Natasha to follow. The twelve year old complies, sitting as close to the two as she could. Maria settles with Yelena straddling her lap, her head resting on the woman's chest and her arms clinging to the material of her shirt.

"Mama said no to going outside because it's late. We've already had a long day, and I know you're super tired because you didn't nap today. I wasn't telling you no to be mean or to upset you. But it's quiet time before bed, not playtime. You know that." She lightly chastises, not really having the heart to scold her properly when she was still so upset.

Yelena's breath hitches as she nods her head, "S-Sorry mama." She chokes out.

Maria's heart breaks at how sad she sounds, "It's okay baby. I know you're tired, and we're all grouchy when we're tired. Even mama." She leans down and presses a soft kiss to the girls head.

Natasha's hand was playing with the ends of Yelena's hair as she lays her head against Maria's shoulder, and she smiles when Yelena's eyes flicker over to meet her own. The blonde tentatively returns it, eyes flickering closed when her sister leans in to place a gentle kiss to her nose.