Chapter 22 - Forty euros

When the kiss ended, Louis immediately let go of his hand.

Holding hands was quite an embarrassing act.

Having sex wasn’t too different from eating. It was necessary, they were adults, and there was nothing embarrassing about having to fulfil physiological needs. But holding hands wasn’t an essential act, and it was as embarrassing as talking about one’s life. Humans, they’re ashamed of exposing their bodies during adolescence, and after maturing they’re ashamed of exposing their hearts.

They had already exposed their bodies to each other several times, but Louis didn’t quite feel like it was time to move on to the next stage of exposing their hearts.

No wonder Harry said to take their time.

Advice from the elderly should really be taken. Mm.

After Louis let go of his hand, Harry also didn’t reach for Louis’ hand. With half a step between them, the two of them continued to walk side by side to the gas station.

After walking for a while, Louis asked, “Where did I stop just now?”

Harry said, “You stopped at how worrying my teacher ethics were.”

Louis said, “Cough, how did I get there… Oh, it was because you asked me why I was studying this major… Actually, to help my family. I have a half-brother who shares the same father as me, but neither of us want to take up the chore of continuing the family business. But my brother, he’s too… Well, he’s even more hopeless of a student than me. When it was time to pick an undergraduate programme for the first time, I really didn’t know what I liked to do, and I felt like in the end, there are very few people who can actually do what they like to do. So I thought, wouldn’t it be better to do what I should do first… I was just, quite realistic.”

Harry said, “Then do you know what you like to do now?”

Louis said in a flippant tone, “Mm… I just, like… attending your lessons.”

I just like you.

Harry said, “Didn’t you just say that you’re always scared in class?”

Louis said, “… That, uh, I like that too.”

If I can see you, I’m fine being scared.

Harry said, “You can’t always be afraid, you have to find a way around it.”

After thinking for a while, Louis tentatively said, “Why not… we strike a deal? In the future, when you’re teaching… Don’t pick me to answer questions, then I certainly won’t be afraid anymore… What do you think?”

Harry said, “Or I’ll pick you to answer questions every lesson until you get used to it.”

Louis: ? ? ?

Harry glanced at Louis, lips curving up, “What do you think?”

Louis said, “What do I think? I don’t think anything, nothing at all!”

Harry nodded, “Mm, then that’s what we’ll do.”

Louis: ?

That’s what we’ll do? ? ?

F I N E.

When they arrived at the 24-hour shop at the gas station, Louis brought a toothbrush to the check-out counter, and wanted to buy a pack of cigarettes along the way – Marlboro, mint-flavoured.

The cashier asked Louis for his ID.

Louis felt for his pants pocket when he remembered that he hadn’t brought his ID with him. He said to Harry, “Haz, did you bring your ID?”