2

Knox

I slept on our trashed bedroom. I didn't know how many hours I spent crying over the betrayal of the one that I trusted the most. I loved her, I still love her but my pride is keeping me from chasing after her and begging her to come back to me. Truth to be said, I can turn a blind eye on this incident and can act blind just so my wife can come back home but it hurts me that she chose money.

I washed up and went down, the food was still there and it made me tear up. She prepared all my favorites. Even though it was cold and probably contaminated since she did not cover it, I still ate the food, tasting my own tears that is mixing up with the food.

I completely broke down when I saw her signature on the divorce papers. I was the one who asked for divorce but why am I hurting?

What kind of magic did she cast on me to make me like this?

I called a cleaner to clean up all the mess from yesterday, and drove off to work.

I wonder where she went? Eli is not from here so I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have friends since I didn't like her going out because it was too dangerous and I have too many enemies that are waiting to strike so I asked her not to go out that much.

But I'm also sure she's doing good, I mean, I felt pretty bad throwing that money on her face but she still picked it up, proving that she is a gold digger. 

I parked my car and immediately went to my office where I found my friend waiting inside.

"What brings you here this early?" I asked. Trent was an old family friend and a business partner.

"Bro, I heard the rumor about your wife?" he stated. I frowned, when did words travel this fast?

"What do you mean?"

"The prototype, I saw it being launched by Benson yesterday."

"where did you hear all this?"

"Words spread fast bro. Where is Eli? I'm sure she is very affected by this, it's all over the news." I stayed silent and pulled out the divorce papers. His eyes grew wide when he saw the contents.

"ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?" I was shocked when he teared up the paper.

"What the fuck Trent!?" I wasn't really angry about the paper being destroyed but I was irritated by his rash behavior.

"Are you really going to believe those damn rumors?" he asked.

"It wasn't a rumor Trent, I investigated, it was true." my voice broke and I saw him soften up. He knew how I loved Eli all my life.

"Did you hear her side of the story?" he asked. He was also close with my wife.

"She denied of course, but Miller already said she was one of them." I spoke out.

"And you believed Miller instead of believing your wife?"

"I.. I don't know anymore... I still can't process the fact that she did this to me. I also can't conduct another investigation, when the rumors are proven correct the second time, it will really break me."

"Brother you do know about my underground connection right? Let me help you, Elina is like the little sister I never had."

"Do what you want Trent, but right now, get out, I have a mess to fix." I said tiredly. I need to work my ass off to get Eli out of my fucking head.

Eli

Two weeks later, I found a small cafe to work at, Sheila, the owner, is three years older than me but acts like my mother. She was kind enough to hire me even though I didn't bring any resume and I'm basically new to the town. 

I'm already seven weeks pregnant and I noticed a small bump showing this morning , I'm going to have my first doctor's appointment next week and I am very excited. I make myself busy to forget what happened two weeks ago. Every night, where I don't have something to do, my mind always wander back to that incident. I'm not hoping but... Who am I kidding, I'm still very hopeful that once he clears his mind and finds out the truth that I really didn't know anything, he will come and kiss my worries and fears away.

That he will beg me to go back home with him. I am very homesick. I left my home country for him and my parents abandoned me cause they didn't like him for me. I really have no one now. 

I changed to a plain white shirt and a knee length skirt then headed to the cafe. I thrifted for clothes a few days ago since I didn't bring anything with me when I left the house. 

"Good morning." I greeted Sheila, and she smiled warmly at me. My job here is to serve costumers, Sheila is in charge of the counter and we have two other staffs, Jake, the barista and Jen, the baker, they're twins. Some times I bake too, since I'm good at it.

"Good morning Eli," Jake said, and I smiled at him. If he wasn't gay, I'd be crushing so hard on him. And Jen, my gosh, I wasn't shocked when she came out to me. I knew how twinning connection works but their bond goes deeper than any twin bond that I know.

"How is our little bean?" Sheila baby talked as she leaned down to caress my small bump. I told them I was expecting last week and they were so happy for me, and when they asked about the father, I just told them that we split up without him knowing about my pregnancy.

They were so supportive, like family. The twins even offered to accompany me to every checkup. 

"Bean is doing fine, aunt Sheila. Just a little picky about food." It's true, I'm never picky about food but with this babe inside of me, I only want to eat freshly cooked food, not processed, not reheated, but fresh and hot and salty. I also get hungry every hour, making it hard for me to work but I manage.

"Oh! Don't worry, aunty Sheila will go cook now," she said in a singing tone.

"Sheila never mind, I just ate and the cafe will be opening soon! We have to get ready," she grumble something that I didn't hear but still she listened to me.

The cafe is quite popular among tourists because of its aesthetic vibe and the beverages here are amazing. The food too is to die for. It's basically a tourist spot.

Since this town is kinda small with a population of two thousand, and it's a fifteen minutes drive away from the city, there are many natural wonders here so many tourists come.

The day ended with me serving lots of costumers and all I want to do is go home and sleep.

"Are you sure you don't want me closing up with you?" I asked Sheila, the twins already went home earlier and it was just us.

"Yes, my husband is coming to pick me up anyways so you can go." she said. I said goodbye and went home.

I'm really glad my life is starting to be what I have always wanted. Simple, free and peaceful. Before meeting Knox, a simple life was what I have always wanted. To get a job aligned to my course, and to have a puppy.  

Even though my life didn't go as planned, it was still great and Knox gave me something more than I could have ever imagined. I just wish that he is here with me right now.

:))

September 1,2022