Chapter 7 - Iron and Fire

Everyone was too busy drowning in their own sadness to notice a change in me. The only one who noticed something was the woman who still didn't stop caressing me.

Pushing her hand away, I raised myself to a sitting position, and leaned on the metal bars.

I forced myself to look away from the woman, mindlessly watching the depth of the forest outside the bars.

I tried my best to ignore her calls and questions.

Are you ignoring me as her?

The trickster inquired.

I did not have to fake the tired voice.

If you came just to mock me, then you can also go away. I'm not in the mood for it.

If I wanted to mock you I would have not come in person. But I can imagine why you do not trust me anymore. That cellar does not look comfortable at all.....

I didn't know where he was, but it was not hard to picture that smirk of his.

Then why are you here?! Leave me alone at least, you fucking lair!

To save you from your chains of course.

Ah yes..... saving me from the situation YOU threw me in. Why does it sound strange to me?

Because you think this was my plan, while it is not. This is a mistake, an overlooking to be exact...But this is not the time for excuses. Tell me, do you trust me enough to describe your surroundings? I have a clear view from here but I am quite far from the convoy.

I briefly explained how things were from inside the bars. He asked me if any guards were inside, so I quickly went on every face I could look at.

None looks like a guard.

Good... You are going to need the protection of the dark for a safe escape. I will wait for the night to fall to proceed.

Then, he asked me to look at the ring holding the chains

Now search for the locker of the cellar and look at it for a few seconds.

Again, I did what I was told.

What is all this for?

I placed a few magicks here and there. When I will activate them, the chains will shatter and the cage will open. You are to head in the forest as fast as you can, do not mind the slavers nor the people, just run straight into the woods and separate yourself from everyone else. It will not be a nice spectacle anyway.

What will you do?

Oh, useless details...Ah, one last thing: I'll soak you and your "companions" in water. Just be sure to NOT catch fire... human torches stinks horribly.

And with that, he left, I kept feeling his presence, but we did not speak anymore.

The sky was already turning into a light shade of red.

The hour was not so far away.

Closing my eyes, I decided to take at least a few minutes of true sleep.

I layed down, lighty checking, with my hand, my belly.

I hope I can run fast enough...

_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-_.-

Wakey wakey little one, it's time!

My lord...At least you're not my old ringtone...To wake someone up from inside his head...

As I raised my head, he answered.

There is something wrong in your words...but this is not the time.

Two torches were hanging at the cage-carriage now. Their flames provided a little bit of light, since a half moon was already shining in the sky. I thought the slavers were going to stop for the night, but it seems I was wrong.

Now, I could see a lot of faces outside : They were way closer to the cage now, trying to not loose themselves into the dark woods

Ehy, they are way closer now.

I know, I am watching the whole convoy, but do not worry: they will have a lot to worry about...Once you're outside, run into the forest on your right side. I'll catch up as soon as every potential chaser will be no more.

To not raise any attention, I stopped looking outside, returning my eyes to the ever-interesting floor.

This...lasted for a brief moment.

Because not even a minute later, numerous points in the cell started to glow.

A loud roar shook the night from up above.

Something flew over us and the tranquility of night was swept away.

A sea of fire engulfed everything around me as horses, and men alike, fell into panic.

Ironically, a horse threw into the air his horseman – whose clothes were now ablaze – and, deciding that the way the man was leading it was not of its liking, the horse turned in the opposite direction, and fled as fast as he could, trampling on the human, crashing his skull.

As the horse disappeared behind the walls of flames, those glowing points in my cage erupted. The sound of shattered iron was all I wanted to hear.

I looked at the woman who caressed me, and noticing her panic, I gave her a little push.

Then... without waiting for her to even turn her head, I jumped over everyone, leaping out of the cage.

As the god said, my clothing now was wet enough to shield me from the flames....but the heat was monstrous.

I did not stay there pondering.

As my feet landed on the road, I did what was said: I started to run, and didn't look back.