Chapter 8 - Lovely Gods

Run! Run as fast as you can!

And so I ran.

Ignoring voices and screams,

Ignoring the crackling sound of blazing wood,

Ignoring the smell of burning flesh,

Ignoring the fire itself, whose deadly touch grazed me multiple times,

I ran.

Upon entering a world of roots and leaves, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by joy, and freedom.

I smiled.

Pushing my legs at their limits, I reached the point where they would just feel numb.

Dashing between huge trunks and avoiding bushes, I gained as much distance as possible from those men, and I slowed down only when my heart started thundering in my ears.

After many....many minutes, I finally stopped.

Without moving, I listened to the sounds of the forest, searching for anything who could signal any human presence.

Then, my legs collapsed and I felt motionless on a tree.

Shaken by tremors, I stayed there, staring at what I thought were distant leaves on top of the tree. It was nighttime after all and I could not see a lot.....Honestly, I would have been way more worried if I could actually see in the dark, like a fox or a cat.

I tried to forcefully slow my breath by imposing some sort of pace. It was not a perfect method, but the results were there after a while.

"I don't think I've ever run so much....." A whisper to none in particular. Or at least, that's what it was supposed to be.

I agree, you were definitely a slug in your past life.

The trickster showed up again

"Ahah....I'm sorry, but running for fun was not a hobby of mine."

But you are no stranger to walks and that's perfect, because now you have a few hours of walk to reach my place.

"Sure....look, I'm already walking"

I was not. I didn't even try.

That or I have to pick you up. You'll be surprised how dragons carry objects while in flight.

"Dr...Dragons?!"

Dumbfooted was not enough to explain how I felt, but it could explain how clearly he could see where I was, to not talk about the fire.

Yes....I'm actually surprised how you can completely ostracize plain, simple details when you're in danger. It's an interesting trait.

"It's a fantasy world afterall..." I whispered. "I think I will choose the pick-up option. My legs are a no-go for now"

You will have to climb the tree then, I cannot land in there.

A moment of silence passed.

"Any options which do not imply me moving?" I questioned.

None...Oh, I am still waiting for your reaction.

"Reaction? What the hell do you mean?"

Nothing, now climb the tree. I really want to see your face.

"You're strange, and creepy" but, again, I did what was said.

Raising up, I looked at the tree who stood before me: there were a few low branches I could rely on, but, from what I could tell from the ground, higher branches were way too thin for my tastes.

I was not even sure of what type of tree that was. It was giant, but the leaves were small and had a weird narrow shape.

"I'm not sure if I can climb to the top.... and I'm not talking about how tired I am."

I will ask the dryad within to help you on the climb, I am already in a good relationship with their race.

"A dryad? What is it?"

A spirit of the forests, they live in the woods and are able to command trees. I will explain deeper when we will be in my nest.

"Dragons and now spirits...."

He will strengthen both the branches and your strength. You can climb now.

I approached the trunk, trying out my grip: as promised it was way stronger than any human hand was capable of.

I tried the grip one more time and, finally, I took the first step upwards.

Only then, when it was quite literally in front of my eyes, I noticed my arm.

It was a childish, small arm. The skin was so pale I thought it was made of milk.

Shaking my head in disbelief, a pinch on my shoulder made me look behind, revealing a waterfall of hair that, needless to say, should have NOT been there. And the color..... Well, I was no stranger to funny-colored hairstyles. They were not rare sights in the city where I lived. But even by looking from a distance, you could tell easily that those ones were the work of an aesthetician.

These....were not. It was plain instinct, yes, but I was sure of it. That aura of "fakeness" was simply not present. From tip to root, my hair reflected the color of a lavender's flower. Long and wavy, they were, without the shadow of doubt, natural.

While my brain was busy trying to find a logical and scientific process to everything, I released my hair and breathed deeply, because something else started bothering me.

One.

Two.

Three times.

Moving aside the rug I was wearing, I checked down below.

I pondered about pinching myself, but that was not a dream. There was no way a dream would be so detailed.

"Dear, lovely god?" I called.

Yes?

"From the deepest part of my heart....fuck you."

A girl.

I was reincarnated into a girl.

"Oh my... you're welcome."