Chapter Twenty Six

The quinjet sped towards the Helicarrier that came in sight, many other jets and agents standing on deck. The Helicarrier hovered like a naval ship, many people running it and many jets attached to it.

The pilot maneuvered the jet swiftly to turn and land on the hangar, smoothly disengage their engines and open the back ramp. Louise takes steps behind Steve and Agent Coulson; wearing a dark blue jacket with a nude shaded shirt and dark jeans, her feet clad in black combat boots and a pair of glasses in her hand.

As they begin to exit she slips on the glasses, the frames reminiscent of her original pair in the 1940's she owned. Steve gives her a confused glance as they step down onto the Helicarrier.

"Stow the Captain's and Ms. Grant's gear." Coulson orders the deckmen at the side of the ramp, a woman dressed in black and a short styled scarlett hair approaching.

"Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers. Ms. Grant." Coulson introduces them, Louise moving to stand next to Steve to see.

"Ma'am." Steve greets, Louise giving her a nod in acknowledgement.

"Hi." She responds, then looks to Agent Coulson.

"They need you on the bridge. They're starting the face-trace."

"See you there." Coulson says, giving them a nod as he steps away. The super duo moves along with Agent Romanoff, Natasha, Steve at her right with Louise at her left.

"It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?" Natasha asks as they walk a few feet, conversing lightly.

"Trading cards?" Steve quirks up with a grin, Louise chuckling at the notion.

"They're vintage, he's very proud. He's even collected a few things of yours, Ms. Grant." Natasha speaks to them, making Louise glance up in disbelief.

"Well, that's definitely something." Louise responds, making them chuckle. A man who steps out of the way of a few agents working takes their attention, everyone recognizing it as Dr. Banner.

"Dr. Banner." Steve says, taking some steps away as Louise follows to introduce herself. Bruce shook his hand, and turned to Louise who gave him a light smile as she shook his hand.

"Oh, yeah. Hi. They told me you'd be coming." Bruce conveys, all of them nodding in agreement.

"Word is you can find the cube." Steve speaks, making Bruce glance at them.

"Is that the only word on me?" He replies, Louise speaking this time.

"Only word he cares about." She confirms, knowing Steve almost as much as she knows herself. Steve gives him a nod as Bruce takes a second to understand the sentiment.

"It must be strange for you, all of this." Bruce says as they had turned back towards the ocean side taking small steps towards the edge of the carrier.

"Well, this is actually kind of familiar." Steve responds as a small group of soldiers jogged in tandem some ways ahead of them.

"Gentlemen and lady, you might want to step inside in a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breathe." Natasha says next to Louise as Steve was on her right and Bruce on Nat's left.

'Flight crew, secure the deck.' An agent on PA speaks loudly, many men running around as mechanical sounds fill the air around them. The quad group glanced around to understand what's happening. Others around them are strapping down planes and quinjets in preparation, more whirring loudening as waves begin to appear at the edge of the deck.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve speaks out, Louise stepping before them as she takes steps to the warning rail line, glancing over as the others join her.

"Really? They wanted me in a submerged, pressurized metal container?" Bruce says as the men stop at her sides, looking over the edge. Four huge lift fans mounted on the sides start to spin, clearing water and creating waves as the turbines of the fans begin to get into order and spin freely. As the turbines increase in speed, the Helicarrier begins its ascent into flight as Steve watches in awe while Bruce just smiles.

"Oh, no. This is much worse." Bruce adds on, as wind blows in their faces, making their hair and some clothing begin to fly back. Agents scurry around checking their strap downs as the Helicarrier lifts higher into the air.

-

The trio follows Natasha through the halls of the Helicarrier, leading them to a central command area that has a giant pane view of the sky ahead of them. Doors opened up as Natsha walked through, the trio following as they glanced around their surroundings. The bridge of the ship filled with activity, dozens of agents at view screens spread throughout the large area.

The trio split, Banner stepping to the left side, Steve stepping to the right as he looked around the center. Louise took a few steps towards circular space made for Fury to stand in with view screens at his side with head command.

Agents speak around the area, confirming things related to the status of the Helicarrier. An agent sat at a lower stand with its own screens, listening to agents around the room as she took a side step to speak up.

"All engines operating. S.H.I.E.L.D. Emergency Protocol 193.6 in effect. We're at level, sir." The agent states to Fury, who stood in the center of the room staring out at the large glass panes at the front of the area.

"Good. Let's vanish." Colonel Fury responds to her, the agent turning back to command.

"Engage retro-reflection panels." The Helicarrier thousands of feet in the cloudy sky begins to seemingly disappear, the panels reflecting the sky around it to demonstrate camouflage. The entire ship disappeared in the sky as Fury turned around to greet the trio.

"Gentlemen and Lady." Fury says, taking a step forward as Steve approaches him. He pulled some money out, handing Fury ten bucks as he passed to greet Dr. Banner. Louise hands Steve ten dollars this time, having changed her bet as they walked down the center walkway. Louise took a detour, stepping past screens of lower agents, taking small looks at the information as she listened to Fury.

"Doctor, thank you for coming."

"Thanks for asking nicely. So, uh... how long am I staying?" Bruce asks after reluctantly shaking Fury's hand.

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the wind."

"Where are you with that?" Bruce asks, Fury gesturing to Coulson on a pathway before the.

"We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cellphones, laptops. If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us." Coulson speaks up, Natasha glancing at a picture file on an agent's screen.

"That's still not gonna find them in time." She speaks up, as Louise thinks to herself.

"You'd have to narrow your field, would you not?" She says aloud towards Banner, who nods in agreement.

"How many spectrometers do you have access to?" Bruce asks, fidgeting his jacket as he looks at Fury.

"How many are there?" Fury questions back, before Bruce looks to Coulson.

"Call every lab you know, tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough out a tracking algorithm based on cluster recognition. At least we could rule out a few places. Do you have somewhere for me to work?" Bruce asks, having taken his brown jacket off and rolled his purple shirt sleeves

"Agent Romanoff, would you show Dr. Banner to his laboratory, please." Fury states, as Nat nods and walks to lead Bruce.

"You're gonna love it, Doc. We got all the toys." Natasha says as she passes him, leading out down another hall. Louise chuckles at that as she stepped to stand against the railing near the center command. Her eyes staring at a picture of Loki at an agent's screen below her, seeing some file reports from his last attack.