Chapter 8: Your Cozy Nest

Was he freaking kidding me? He was going to buy me a nice present? That would make everything better and I'd forget about what he did to me? Our pack might need a new Alpha if he was delusional enough to think I could be bribed into forgiveness by a nice present. 

You know what a nice present would be, Alpha? Your head mounted to a piece of wood over my fireplace. That would be a nice present, you idiot, I thought as I shoved some clothes into a small duffle bag. I had to get out of here, and this time, Owena and Echo couldn't go with me. Three would be easier to track than one, and this time I suspected -- even with the potions Raevyn had taught me to make -- the pain would quickly become unbearable the farther away I got from Night, until the only option left was crawling under some thick bushes and letting the agony overwhelm me until it stopped my heart. I didn't want my friends to see that, to feel the helplessness of watching me writhe and twist in pain, unable to help. They would stay with me every excruciating moment, and I loved them too much to let them watch me die like that.

Stupid Alpha, I thought as I recalled him announcing his acceptance of me as his Howl to our assembled pack mates. I'd felt a weird combination of pissed off and warm and fuzzy when he'd said that. Obviously, my anger had won that round. He'd forced me to watch him fuck Lindsay Morgan in front of everyone only two weeks before -- and now I was supposed to just roll over and give him my belly because he'd decided he would graciously accept me as his Howl.

Well, I don't remember that. Any of it, other than what people told me. So let's move past that bullshit and focus on today. 

Move past that! Just move on as if he hadn't ripped my heart out of my chest.

Focus on the now, Neera, not on what happened. That's the past. We need to work this out in the now. It's hurting the pack if the Alpha and his Howl are at odds.

Such a typical Alpha attitude and approach to life. Because I have said so, jump to obey me, no explanations needed or given!

I hoped he wasn't thinking clearly right now -- hoped he didn't think I would sing a song I'd already sung and run away again. 

Woof! This day was taking its toll on me and it wasn't even fucking noon. In the space of three hours, I'd returned to pack lands, certain I was going to be killed; I'd been confronted by my delusional Alpha and announced as his Howl in front of the pack; I'd rejected said delusional Alpha; I'd been chased down by him so he could tell me to get over the events from two weeks ago, and then I'd begged for some time so I could think tonight and he and I could talk tomorrow.

Lie! I'd hoped to be long gone by the time tomorrow rolled around.

I ignored the fact that for three hours, just from being in his proximity, my pain had dissipated completely. When we'd been naked, with me on my belly and him on top of me, I'd wanted him to take me, to make me his, to take my blood so I could take his. I'd thought how easy it would have been for him to plunge inside of me and fuck me harder than he'd ever fucked anyone in his life, harder than I'd ever been fucked in my life, and to fill me with a gift only he could give to me.

But he'd resisted the call of my body and his -- there was no way he could have missed how wet I was for that hard, delicious cock he'd had pressed against me. For a split second, we were Alpha and Howl, the most potent combination there was in our world, and it would have been so, so easy to just forget what had happened and give in to our primitive, animalistic natures.

Somehow, I'd resisted, told him no and amazingly, he'd listened. When a male was faced with his Destined One in that position, it took some amazing control not to let his instincts push him into getting me ready for him, making me want to submit. He was Alpha and I was his Howl; I was genetically predisposed to want to submit to him, to take his cock, to give him those pups only I could give to him and only he could give to me.