Chapter 15: Dropped

***Trigger warning for acts of violence***

I felt as if I'd been in a deep sleep and my alarm had blasted me awake leaving me groggy, slow-moving and dazed. Strangely dazed, to the point that my muscles didn't want to cooperate and I couldn't get my legs under me.

A sharp slap on my face woke me up faster. Bits and pieces were slowly coming back to me.

Leaving the Den.

Walking into the house.

Something else, something sinister teased the edge of my consciousness...

Raevyn and Lindsay Morgan.

Another sharp slap and a kick to my stomach made the rest of my brain fog dissipate, and I struggled to sit up. Before I could, Lindsay Morgan kicked me in the chest so hard I couldn't breathe right, and I desperately tried to pull air into my lungs, gasping and choking, as I tried to recall that last piece of the puzzle --

Lindsay Morgan blowing powder in our faces and Raevyn telling us to sleep

And then, nothing.

Aymeric! My gaze searched for and found him on the floor, across the room from me.

Unlike me, he'd been bound with heavy chains, tightly, like a mummy, so I knew he wasn't going anywhere soon. Worrying about the puddle of blood slowly and steadily spreading beneath his head, I tried to gather my wits...until the tip of Lindsay Morgan's shoe caught me under the chin, throwing me back down onto the floor.

Looking up, she stood over me, smiling such a sweet smile that I knew she was completely fucking psychotic and was going to kill us.

And enjoy it.

"If you shift, we'll kill Aymeric and then we'll kill you. Now, call him to you," she demanded.

There was no doubt him was referring to Night. "Give me a phone and I will," I lied, trying to buy more time. Trying to think.

BAM!

Wrong thing to say and she caught me in the stomach that time with her foot. Then for good measure, she grabbed a handful of my hair and slammed my face into the floor.

"I see your bite mark," she hissed into my face. "He Took your Blood, which means he can hear your thoughts so do not fuck with me," she warned.

Little did she know that I probably had already revealed too much when I'd awakened and was scrambling to figure out what was going on and pull my thoughts together. His name had been in my mind.

Night.

Then when I'd seen Aymeric bleeding on the floor, I'd thought, Help.

Wanting to warn him, I'd told him that Lindsay and Raevyn were at the prison house, as I thought of the place. He'd know. He'd told me what he suspected, and I hoped and prayed to the Forces he could figure out a way to stop them before we lost any more of the pack.

Maybe my thoughts would be enough to warn him, to help him formulate a plan to save the pack. I had a chilling feeling it was too late for Aymeric and me. The puddle of blood under the Alpha's Teeth continued to pool at an alarming rate.

Raevyn lifted her head, watching out the window. "He's a fool, just like his father, thinking he can save his Howl. This should be entertaining."

Before I could warn him not to come in, Night and Néron burst through the door of the house and came to a stop, just after Lindsay Morgan had pulled me to my feet and pressed a wicked-looking knife to my neck. I forced my mind to be quiet, to not panic, to go blank so Night wouldn't get any distracting thoughts from me.