A Voice Crying out for Help

Rani had a nightmare and it was about Joshua succumbing to either his heart defect or possibly from the pancreatic cancer.

Sweeney was snuggling with Mei, lulling to her as she fell asleep. Then he heard a little pitter-patter of feet going downstairs. He knew. It was Rani, and she had a nightmare about Joshua.

"I'll be back, sweet..." He whispered tenderly to his little love, whom was sleeping. Sweeney leaned in to kiss Mei's cheek before heading downstairs to check on Rani. Joshua, Victor, David and Mary were already downstairs with Mrs. Lovett, comforting Rani.

Sweeney's heart ached for Rani as he was wondering what scared her.

"Is Rani alright?" He asked softly.

"Poor dear had a nightmare about her dad, she did." Mrs. Lovett explained. "She dreamt that he was dying from either the cancer or his heart defect. Poor little Rani."

"Poor dear...if there is something I could do to help her feel better..." Sweeney sympathized. He knelt down and placed a gentle hand on Rani's back, and in soothing circles, he rubbed up and down. As he did, he saw a vision of himself in the bakehouse on Fleet Street: he had been already dead; his throat slit by Toby. There was a girl in her early teens who looked exactly like Rani...and she was frantically calling for help.

"HELP!!! SOMEONE HELP!!" A voice cried out suddenly.

Sweeney, surprised, pulled his hand back from Rani's back.

"Blimey...wha?! What was that?" The barber wondered.

Rani too was wondering as she was sleeping.

"Mr. T? What is it?" Mrs. Lovett asked softly.

"I saw something...you know how Toby had slit my throat after I had thrown you into the oven?" Sweeney softly asked her. The baker nodded. "I saw a girl who looked exactly like Rani."

"Rani? What was she doing in the vision, dearie?" Mrs. Lovett wondered.

"She was crying out for help." Sweeney mused in thought.

"Ohh...that's weird..." Mrs. Lovett said.

"Hmm...I suppose I'll ask her about it in the morning." Sweeney thought.

And so, the next day, after breakfast, Rani gently tugged on the sleeve of Sweeney.

"Sweeney?" She asked timidly.

"Yes, my dear?" The barber knelt at eye level with the girl.

"I saw a dream...and you were in it...and I heard someone scream for help." Rani explained.

"I saw it too, dear." Sweeney nodded. "It was when I was rubbing your back last night."

If Mei had a past life...could that mean...Rani has one too? The barber thought.

Sweeney listened in on Joshua and Rani's conversation about losing him to either cancer or the heart defect and his heart ached for little Rani.

"Uncle Joshie?" Mei asked worried.

Joshua reassured to Mei that he wasn't going to die, that when the time came.

"Let's let Papa Victor, Mary and Uncle Eli do all the worrying for your Daddy, and you just keep being a kid, sound good, Ra?" Stephen suggested with a smile. His blue eyes twinkling in mystery.

"Okay." Rani nodded. Stephen tenderly winked at Rani and she giggled.

"Hey, Rani! Wanna play?" Mei asked cheerily.

"Sure!" Rani nodded.

Both Joshua and Sweeney watched the sweet little girls play.