2. A Gentleman's Agreement

Song: Blank Space by Vitamin String Quartet

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

Lord Hardy, Weaver, Stanley,
Mr Dorset, Sir William... It has no end!
Suitors have come to visit the Danbury household all day and I have not been able to catch a breath.

"A kind offer, My Lord, but one I must refuse." I answer Lord Lumley who had just asked me to accompany him to the races in two days.

"I understand. Perhaps we can get to know each other another day. Thank you for having me, Miss Griffiths."

And with that, the final suitor has finally left.

As the doors close, I let myself sink into my chair.

Ever since my return to London, I have not been able to return to my craft as a composer. While I was away, most of my time, I was sat behind the pianoforte. Sounds like torment for most people who were only forced to learn the instrument, but to me it was true enchantment. Spending hours creating music from the heart was nothing less than fulfilling, but now I am certain my days will only consist of suitors, balls and pointless conversation.

"Child, was it really necessary to reject every suitor that came today?" Lady Danbury asks as she takes her seat.

As she looks at me, I can already guess what she is thinking of me; A lost cause.

"There was simply no one I connected with." I mutter under my breath. "Believe me, Lady Danbury, when I say I did not deny the suitors a day at the races with me out of spite for this tradition, but there truly hasn't been anyone yet who has sparked my interest enough for me to even consider."

The closest might have just been

"Mr. Bridgerton!" Lady Danbury calls surprised before standing up.

I turn to my right, only to see Benedict standing by the doorframe with his clever smile.

Now, whatever is he doing here?

"I did not know you were visiting today." The dowager countess then says as she approaches him.

I immediately stand up from my chair and slowly walk towards them. His last name is Bridgerton?

I remember the Bridgerton family very vaguely, but the name does ring a bell. If I remember this correctly they are one of the most well respected families of the Ton and close to Lady Danbury. The family Simon married into as well. He mentioned it in one of his letters to me a few years back, now that I think of it.

"Miss Griffiths, allow me to introduce to you Mr. Bridgerton. The younger brother of the Viscount Bridgerton."

I reckon Lady Danbury means someone other than Colin Bridgerton because to me Colin looked a bit too young to be Benedict's older brother.