15. Heads or Tails

Song: Somewhere Only We Know by Allen & Bright

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

What is it truly to fall in love with someone?

It is a concept I never imagined would trouble my mind so deeply as it does now. It is a feeling so rare only a few would experience it and act on it.

I have admired my fair share of women, but I never thought of them as potential wives, let alone loved any of them. I could always distinct love from lust, but ever since I met that stubborn of a composer Nancy Griffiths, it seems everything in my mind has gone all over the place;

Just like all of these pieces of paper lying around with my failed sketches.

As I mess up another drawing of a hand, I rip it from my book and crumble it up before adding it to the collection I have of it on the floor.

I have been sitting by the window for hours, only thinking of what to do next with these feelings; Whether to push them further down within me or allow myself to free them from this torment I am in.

I frown as suddenly, I notice a shadow of a woman walking on the grass field towards our swings by the tree. Perhaps it is Eloise again, attempting to sneak a smoke.

Come to think of it, now might be the perfect time for a cigarette.

With everyone asleep, including servants, I quietly snuck out of the house towards the gardens where I now notice a woman silently sitting on the grass with no sign of smoke around her at all.

"Nancy?" I call as I come to stand next to her.

The young woman flinches by my presence as she keeps her hand on her chest. "Good Lord, Benedict! You startled me." She says surprised, causing me to grin.

I have never seen her so easily frightened. Quite amusing, if you ask me.

"What are you doing outside at this hour? It is rather cold." I say, sitting down next to her.

I do not mention the fact that we are both wearing sleeping attire which is already inappropriate and scandalous if anyone else would see us.

"I couldn't sleep. The past few weeks I had almost forgotten that I am this season's diamond. Then today when I was teaching Hyacinth one of my compositions, she told me that she couldn't believe that a diamond like me would ever even consider marrying you."

We both let out a chuckle. "Remind me some other time to teach my sister a lesson."

"She is wonderful, Benedict. Your whole family is."

Through her smile, I notice that there is this unexplainable sadness in Nancy's eyes and tone that I can not fathom, carrying a big weight she is not able to lose.

"How about we play a game?" I suggest to lighten the mood.

"A game?" She frowns.

I reach in my pockets and take out a penny. "I will flip this coin and if it lands on heads, you get to ask me a question. Tails, I get to ask you a question- and we must answer honestly."

"Any question?" Nancy asks to which I simply nod with a grin.

I used to do this with Anthony and Colin a lot when we had absolutely nothing to do and were too lazy to fence or shoot.

I flip my coin and catch it with my other hand to press it against my skin.

"Heads." I say with a sigh, causing Nancy to chuckle.

"Alright. Let me think.– Which one of your siblings annoys you the most?"

"Oh that is an easy one. Anthony. As he is the oldest, he loves to use that title over us. Not in extreme ways of course..."

Before Anthony met Kate, there were times when I seriously wanted to punch him in the face as hard as I possibly could because he was that insufferable. Luckily, Kate has toned him down a lot and he is much more delightful to have around. Still, there are rare occasions once in a while when I consider the punch.

"Thank you for your honesty, Mr. Bridgerton." Nancy grins before I flip the coin again.– heads again...

"It seems your coin has a preference." Nancy jokes before rubbing her hands together to think of another question. "Have you... have you ever been in love?"

Startled, I quietly look at Nancy who can only raise an eyebrow at me, eagerly awaiting my answer. "Well, Benedict?"

"Yes, I have." I quickly respond.

"Really? How surprising."

To not get into further questions I simply flip the coin once more, praying to God that it can be my turn for this round.

... tails.

"Preference, you said?" I ask cocky, causing Nancy to laugh.

"Go on and ask your question then." She grins.

There is a lot I could ask her. About her parents perhaps or Mr. Sharpe or her music...

But I can only think of two questions I really want an answer to from her and those are;

Do you love me?

or

"When you leave, is there a chance you will ever come back?" I quietly ask.

I can live with the idea that Nancy and I might never end up together, but the thought of never seeing her again is heart-rending.

For a moment, she remains silent, probably giving thought to the question.

"Let me answer your question with a promise." Nancy says with a small smile.

"And what might that be?" I ask.

Nancy turns her head to me, moonlight beaming mesmerizingly on her face. "Chances are I won't return to London any time soon after I leave, but I promise you that we will see each other again– someday."

Someday is such a promising yet terrifying word. It has the ability to lift your spirits, but also get your hopes up for nothing. Someday can be very soon or years from now or never at all, but I suppose, the best thing you can do is to hope it will come.

Suddenly, Nancy takes my hand and intertwines our fingers before resting her head on my shoulder. I chuckle slightly and plant a kiss on the top of her head as we stare out at the grass field.

There are these rare moments when life becomes infinite for a while, when your surroundings slow down and all of your worries fade, and for a moment you feel as if you can genuinely take a rest.

And this, this moment right here, is one of them.

"Benedict," Nancy calls as she looks up at me with her head still rested on my shoulder.

"Yes?" I ask.

Unexpectedly, Nancy lifts her head and presses her lips against mine, slowly and endearingly. Compared to the previous kisses we've shared which were all rough and passionate, this one is sweet and gentle. The corners of my lips curl up throughout as I feel her hand placed on my cheek to slowly pull me deeper.

How can one possibly ever get enough of someone as amazing Nancy Griffiths? I am certain there will never come a time when I will grow tired of having her near me.

Finally, Nancy pulls away as I lean my forehead against hers. We both smile as she gently caresses my face. "Good night, Benedict." She says lovingly.

"Good night, Nancy."