4. The Game is Afoot

Song: Rosyln by Vitamin String Quartet

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

It is finally the day of the races and Lady Danbury made sure to provide a beautiful rose colored dress for Nancy. Mother absolutely adored it so much that she kept on and on and on about its silk material and the embroidered white flowers on the skirt.

Though I do not enjoy the talk of dresses, I must admit that Nancy Griffiths wears it beautifully.

We walk side by side while mother and Lady Danbury converse behind us. They keep mentioning the success of both Daphne and Anthony's season.

"Perhaps we should talk. It is suspiciously silent between us." I whisper.

Nancy quietly nods.

"What did you have in mind then?" She responds, mimicking the volume of my voice.

We have barely uttered a word ever since we met earlier today. Though our presence together seem to have caught the attention of many present today already. Rather envious mamas and debutantes, if I say so myself.

"Well, if it is our plan to convince everyone that we are slowly falling in love, perhaps we should actually do the effort of knowing one another... for the sake of the plan."

There is still so little that I know of Nancy Griffiths. All I know is that she has quite the rebellious spirit, almost similar to Eloise which is concerning.

"Well, where do you suggest we start?" She proceeds to ask me.

With a smirk, I lean my head a little closer to hers. "Observe." I whisper confidently.

I clear my throat and put my hands behind my back. "Tell me, Miss Griffiths. How was your last performance in the Americas? I have yet to hear about your travels." I loudly say.

Nancy chuckles at the sudden raise of my voice.

"Yes, how brilliant." She whispers to me before following my lead. "Well, Mr. Bridgerton, my last performance was at this grand opening of a newly built theater in the city of New York. I was truly honored to perform a piece I composed just the night before. It is one of my most cherished memories during my travels."

"Sounds like a dream come true." I respond, genuinely amazed.

Nancy Griffiths has already established herself in this world and it is most inspiring. Something I wish to see myself doing in the future. I feel rather lost most of the time.

"It was." Nancy says calmly with what seems to be an honest smile, so bright and ever so enticing. I did not know she was capable of enjoying herself. "It is not necessarily the praise I receive for my work that is most joyous, but rather creating something that can transcend you to anywhere your heart desires. To this day, it still stuns me that there are people who experience the same when listening to my compositions."