6. Windows to the Soul

Song: I Won't Say I'm In Love by MSQ

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

"You look at the door the way Mr. Brookes looks at cake." Anthony jokes as he comes to stand next to me.

"Very funny, brother." I say.

"Is it Miss Griffiths you are so eagerly awaiting?– I haven't heard you mention her ever since the day of the races. How is she doing?"

"I do not know, brother." I lie.

Last night and all that occurred in that bedroom at Mr. Granville's home can not seem to be erased from my mind, no matter how hard I try.

Perhaps it was the scenery that drew me to Nancy that night. The candles, the bed, the intimate conversation and the fact that she was so close to me very likely enthralled me into the lust of having her.

Nothing more, nothing less.

"Oh, there she is." Anthony says as he turns to the entrance of the queen's ball.

Without being able to help it, I feel the beating of my heart go a little bit faster than usual, a tingling feeling in my stomach I cannot quite describe. All by the sight of Nancy Griffiths entering the room in a pale purple dress, making her appear almost regal.

She looks around the room with a nervous look on her face due to the fact that the entire ton has their eyes on her as of the moment.

I take a deep breath as finally, her eyes meet mine from across the room. It is then when the worry from her face slowly fades and she appears to be at ease.

"What are you waiting for, Benedict? Go ask her to dance." Anthony whispers before literally pushing me away from him, almost making me fall.

I turn to him with a frown, but he can only grin.

Ever since he married Kate, it is as if he has become a totally different person who is not afraid of the concept of happiness.

I shake my head with a chuckle before heading towards Nancy, but to my surprise she is already surrounded by many gentlemen. As I try to find my way through, I watch how she politely smiles and struggles to talk to every suitor that is in front of her.

I make eye contact with Lady Danbury who amusingly watches me work my way out.

"Mr. Bridgerton!" She loudly greets, causing the suitors to stop talking and turn to me.

Right, let the games begin.

I stand up straight, clearing my throat as I readjust my now slightly crinkled clothing.

"Lady Danbury, Miss Griffiths." I politely greet.
"I was wondering, Miss Griffiths, if you would do me the honor of being your first dance at the queen's ball."