Chapter 24

Ariana Romano

It's been 2 days since everything happened. The house was in silence as usual, as though we have gone back to the very same day when dad passed away. I was leaning against the cupboard in Eliz's room, sitting in a daze. 

I just wish she was here with me. But if weren't for me, she would not have died either, right? As much as I was angry at my brothers, I was angry at myself. For being clueless about the threat they had received. If only I had known, Eliz would not have volunteered herself to go in place of me. 

It was hypocrite of me to blame them for killing Eliz. I was the cause of her death too, so what right do I have to blame them for it? 

Drawing my knees towards my chest, I placed my head down and tears immediately started flowing. 

I just wish everything was different. It could have been better. 

She probably would still be here.

Mason Romano

Staring at the small piece of photo in my hand, my finger drew a small circle around her face. It was a picture of me and Ave in the amusement park. It was her 16th birthday that I brought her to the amusement park, a place where she had not been ever since Uncle Ethan died. 

It was the first time she had laughed out loud so cheerfully during our many rides in the park. She was reluctant to take a picture together because she was never a fan of taking pictures. But I was glad that I had insisted on that. It was one of the very few pictures we took together. 

As much as I was saddened by her death, I was angry. At both myself and Ave. I could have stopped her from getting kidnapped. I could have done something to prevent that. And she, went back on her promise. She promised me that she would come back alive, but she didn't. 

One tear followed by another dripped onto the piece of photograph in my hand. She had yet to feel happiness in her life and yet her life came to an abrupt end. Because of a family feud, she got caught in between the cross fire. 

Her last words to me still lingered in my head. 'Take care of Bea for me.'

I did not manage to save her, but I will do my best to keep my promise with her. At least, she will be able to set her mind at ease. 

Alexander Romano

Pouring myself another cup of whiskey, I downed the alcohol in one shot. Everything felt numb, even my head. I was not sure if it was due to the alcohol in my system or the guilt which was slowly gnawing on me. 

Funny how I always thought that I was the brother who understood Avery the most. Turns out I was just someone who had disappointed her the most. What was the point of being so capable in running the mafia when I could not even protect my sister? Not to even mention that even Ari was disappointed in me, in us? 

To think that all of us had promised father that we will always protect our sisters with our lives, to make sure that they would not be harmed. The very last thing that father would have expected was to see us hurting them. He probably would want to take his gun and shoot us from his grave. 

Ari had not left Avery's room ever since yesterday and Eli tried to check on her but she shut him out of the door. Her reaction was no surprise. As much as it hurts us to see her distancing herself from us, we really deserved that. 

Someone came walking into my office without knocking and I could not be bothered to see who it was. 

"How long are you guys going to wallow in self-pity? One week? One month? Or a year? You think by doing this Avery will suddenly come back walking into the house?" Mason scoffed drily, while I placed the glass on the table harshly and glared at him with bloodshot eyes. 

"Glare all you want, Alexander. But you know I'm right. None of you can blame anyone for your choice. All of you chose to not trust her words, even when she sat outside of your door, begging for all of you to believe her. Did any of you listen to her cries and pleas? No, none of you gave a fuck to that and carried on with your lives while she was still stuck in the past. Even she blamed herself for Uncle Ethan's death. After all, it's hard to not believe the words telling her that she killed her own father, right?" Mason's words were like venom, each and every word pierced through my ears and heart. But I remained silent, because he was right, about everything.

"None of you know how she lived for all these years. She almost lost herself, to the demons in her head." His words got my attention and I immediately snapped my head at him. 

"What do you mean?" My voice hoarsed, not so surprising for me given that all I've been having was whiskey for the past 2 days.

"None of you know how she was constantly haunted by the past, that she was struggling to carry on with a normal life. I introduced her to a therapist, one that she had been to for the past 5 years." The revelation from Mason was almost like a mockery for me. There were so many things that we don't know about Avery. Because we were too concerned with ourselves. 

"Can I...visit her?" My voice was almost so soft that even I don't recognise it. Mason quirked his eyebrows at me and asked in a distant tone,"What for? Not like Dr. Rosaline will tell you anything, it's meant to be confidential between them." 

"I know, but I just... I just want to know whatever information there is." Mason ran his fingers through his hair and muttered, "I shouldn't have fucking blurt out shit to you." Heaving a sigh, he whipped out his phone and typed something and I heard a notification sound coming from my phone. 

"I've sent the address to you. Just tell me whenever you're going. I will go with you." I nodded my head at his words and he stood up from the couch, ready to leave the room. 

"Ari is all alone now. I know none of you have the right to talk to her now, but at least show her that you all care for her. And as much as I dislike all of you, that would be something that Ave would want to see too. To see all of you caring for her twin in place of her." He muttered the last part softly, as though he was hesitant to say it. Deep inside, I know none of us wish to accept that Avery was gone. But we had to, especially when we have combed through the whole area many times to see if she had managed to escape the explosion in time. 

But it was a fact that she was gone.

Forever this time.

apologies for the late update! had been doing many ppt slide for this week so was extremely busy with work. finally got a little bit of time for tonight so here it is!

Happy reading! -22/9/2022