Chapter 36

Vincenzo Ricasso

I stared into the mirror, looking at the reflection of myself as I put on the dark blue suit. This was not the first time that I'm attending the Mafia Ball. I've been attending them for about 4 years now, as it was around the time when I first suggested that I would join the Italian Mafia after Avery's death.

I had not mentioned about her in front of anyone ever since then. Not even my family. I was in denial of her death at first, but I gradually accepted that she was not going to come back alive no matter how much I was denying it.

Exhaling slowly, I straightened my tie and headed downstairs. My parents were already done preparing themselves and were waiting in the living room. As usual, Andrea was sitting on the couch and pouting at us while watching us get ready to leave the house. The ball was not a place for her. It's best for her to stay put at home before she gets into danger as well.

"Honey, stop pouting at us. Anyways, good news for you, Ari will be coming over after she briefly shows her face at the ball." Mum informed her, as the pout soon went away when she heard the news. She and Ariana had met each other during Avery's funeral and they kept in contact ever since then. They hit off well, just like the time when Andrea first met Avery.

After we bade farewell to Andrea, we got into the car and headed off to the venue.

Reine Parker

As I stepped down the stairs, Roman and Damian stopped talking to their men as all the attention in the room were on me now. A wide smile broke out on Roman's face as he looked at the gown which I was wearing. But the smile on his face did not last long when he turned his head and realised how his men were too focused on me.

A deep scowl appeared on his face and he commanded,"You all are dismissed now. Get back to your positions." Some of them immediately scrambled out of the door, while a few of them continued staring and Damian had to walk towards them in his very intimidating manner and one of them nearly tripped over his leg while backing away. I almost chuckled at the sight. Some fancy mafia men we have here.

As we got into the car, Roman started nagging at how I should stay with either him or Damian, just in case things go crazy at the ball. I was really curious to know if people will still be scared of Roman when they see this side of him. He sounded just like what a protective mama bear would do when her baby bear is stepping out into the society.

I nodded my head at all his reminders and patted the back of his hand lightly,"All right, all right. I got them all clear, don't worry about me. Now put on your mafia boss face and get out of the car."

As we stepped out of the car, the valets immediately bowed their heads down, most probably not wanting to make any unnecessary eye contact with Roman. Damian followed behind us, while looking out for any potential danger.

The moment which I hated so much in my life has arrived. People in the hall instantly quietened down the moment they noticed our presence. Even the sound of pin drop could be heard in this uncomfortable silence. Although I may appear unfazed and unbothered on the outside, I felt all jittery in my stomach as I walked past people's gaze. Especially when I know this was not some ordinary event.

I swallowed the lump that was gathering in my throat as I felt a hand gave a small squeeze to mine.

"It's okay, just look straight ahead and take a deep breath." Roman whispered to me, his expression remained stoic to the public. I did as he said and kept my focus on the stage. I want to go home already.

The waiter showed us to a table and we settled ourselves in our seats. As soon as we sat down, some men in fancy suits started to approach our table. I could feel Roman tensed up as he moved his seat closer to me. I was relieved that he did it because a man, who seemed to be in his late 60s, was moving closer to me in a really uncomfortable manner.

Roman shot a glare at the man and he instantly backed away from me. As those men introduced themselves to Roman, I took the time to study their expressions. As much as they were all smiling widely at us, I could not help but to notice the side of their lips slowly going up. One could definitely tell that they were up to no good. It was a good thing that Roman remained uninterested with their never ending flattering and continued showing them his signature poker face.

The door opened once again and the people who stepped into the hall were those whom I have once called family. I noticed that Bea was not with them, so I turned my head away from them. However, before I could turn my attention away, the last two people who entered the hall made me stopped. Mason and Vince.

Unexpectedly, Vince looked at my direction and both of us made eye contact. My heart stopped, the moment he looked at me in the eyes, as though there were no one else present in the hall, just us. There was a dull ache in between my chest as I looked at his face. Four years since I've seen him. He was standing right there, but yet I could only look at him from a distance.

He broke away first, as he was approached by another man. Before he left his spot, he looked at me for the last time before turning around. I exhaled the breath that I had been holding unknowingly ever since they walked in.

The group of men who were at our table had finally left and I could hear the annoyance in Roman's voice as he let out a curse,"Fucking money suckers." Before we could even relax in the short moment, the Romano walked towards our table as I glanced over and realised Roman was already clenching on his jaw hard.

"We've met again, Mr Roman Parker." Alexander's hand reached out, as he stood in front of us. Roman clicked his tongue in annoyance as he straightened his suit before standing up, and I followed suit. He walked past Alexander's outstretched hand and headed for the stage.

Taking over the microphone from the host, he spoke with much authority as his voice boomed throughout the hall,"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, seeing that all the families have gathered here tonight, I have an important piece of news to tell all of you here. I have been receiving news that people have been talking about how there is a woman whom have been spotted going in and out of my mansion. Here is a gentle warning from me, that woman whom all of you are curious about is my sister, Reine Parker." He gestured towards my direction as all of the people turned their heads and looked at me. As much as I hated the attention, I continued holding my head upright.

"If any of you here are plotting something, I kindly suggest not to. As for the consequences for doing so, I will decide when the time comes. If there's nothing else, that's all I have to say. Thank you for your time." Rounds of applause blasted through the hall as Roman stepped off the stage. I did not know that by introducing your sister would get you an ear deafening applause.

Alexander turned his head from the stage and looked at me,"Avery." I frowned at his words, followed by a small smirk forming on my lips,"Mr Romano, I believe you've heard my brother's words just now. If you didn't manage to catch it, I would gladly repeat his words for you. I'm Reine Parker, sister of Roman Parker."

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I cracked a small smile as I thought of this phrase.

Indeed, it was.

updated! not sure if the ball was as exciting as what you guys have imagined, but here it is! there's more to come so stay tune! <3

Happy reading! -7/10/2022