Chapter 13 - Long Live The Queen

Merlin's POV

I watch sadly as the rocks tumble down, separating me from Arthur. I hear him shout my name. That's the only sound that registers in my ears. All the heartbreak and worry could be heard in that one word.

I quickly whisper a spell that would keep the rocks in place. Morgana or Morgause would simply blast the stones away if necessary and I had to prevent that if I could. My eyes shine a bright gold and I feel my magic seep into the rocks.

I take in a deep breath and turn to face Cenred's men. The enemy Knights all raise their swords at me, pointing them towards my chest. I bring my hands up steadily in a surrender.

Morgause steps forward, a scowl on her face as she glares daggers at the mountain of rock blocking her from Arthur. She reaches out a hand and chants a spell. The rubble doesn't move. She roars in anger, punching her fist against the wall.

"It's alright sister," Morgana says calmly, gently placing a hand on her shoulder, "we'll find him soon enough."

Morgause smiles evilly and straightens herself out. She seems to finally notice me. "What do you want to do with him?" She asks Morgana.

Morgana turns to look at me. Immediately, her eyes soften. The cold glare that was present just moments before all gone. "He's safe, sister. Unlike his master, Merlin is an ally of magic. He has helped me discover my powers and to learn that it should not be feared. I will see to the fact that he is not harmed."

"Very well." Morgause waves her hand and the Knights all sheath their swords. They begin to walk back towards the castle, leaving me and Morgana alone in the underground passage.

I let my arms drop beside me. I look nervously at Morgana, unsure of what to do.

I'm taken by surprise when she brings me into a hug.

"Merlin, I'm sorry about Arthur. I know you love him, I know this must hurt for you but you have to know that Arthur is the enemy. I want to create a kingdom where magic is welcomed. Arthur despises magic just like his father so I have to stop him," Morgana lets go of me and starts to follow after her sister.

Before she turns the corner she whips her head back towards me.

"Feel free to head back to your chambers. Gaius should be there as well." She smiles a friendly smile, one that I have seen many times before. She rounds the corner and walks away, leaving me alone in the dark corridor.

-----

Arthur's POV

I quickly stand and race to the tumbling rocks. The last image I see before the rocks completely barricade the hall is Merlin. He slowly disappears behind the large mass... with Morgana and Morgause behind him.

I pound my fists against the stone wall that now separates me and the love of my life.

"MERLIN!" I shout again, louder this time.

I don't hear anything. I begin to madly dig at the pile of stones, trying to claw across to the other side. None of the rocks budge. They are too tightly packed.

I cry out in agony and punch the rocks in frustration only to be rewarded with a sharp pain in my knuckles.

Suddenly, an idea perks up in my mind. I raise my hand in the air towards the rocks and chant a spell. Nothing.

I mentally kick myself. I had gotten rid of my magic over a year ago. Why am I even thinking of trying it...no, I know why I tried it. Deep down I still want my magic to exist. This is simply an excuse to myself to use it. That this is justified because I am saving someone I love.