Chapter 19 - It Can't Be...

Arthur's POV

I listen quietly as the loud chant rings throughout the room. I lift my head high and set my shoulders back. I will be the king Camelot deserves.

I scan the crowd and smile at the familiar faces. Guinevere, Gaius, my Knights. The last person I look to is Merlin. He's standing beside Gaius, his body rigid. My eyes momentarily flash with anger. I can see the rage reflected from his own blue irises.

I turn away. I look in every direction but Merlin's, though I still kept his small figure visible from the corner of my eye. I realize after a short while he doesn't join in to the chant. His lips remain shut the entire time. I slowly feel the sadness well up as time passes. I want this coronation to end soon.

When the chant from the crowd finally dies down the people begin to disperse. I watch quietly as Merlin turns on his heel and leaves.

"Sire?" I hear Agravaine call me.

"Yes?" I ask, still not exactly paying attention.

"There is a council meeting. You should get going."

I had almost forgotten about that. I nod and send my uncle away. I watch the last of the people leave before turning to head towards the Council Chambers.

-----

I lie in bed later that night. I stare up at the ceiling, sighing to myself. I now notice how much of a mess I am without Merlin. I hardly knew what my daily duties were and, according to Guinevere, I can't even put my tunic on the correct way.

I sigh again deeply. I turn to look at the door, expecting the little manservant to be standing there with his usual goofy smile. Of course he isn't there. He probably hates me now. I broke the trust between us.

I turn around in my bed, burying my face in my pillow, and falling into a deep sleep.

-----

"Arthur..."

I jolt awake at the sound of the voice. I look around my room frantically.

"Arthur..."

I realize now the voice is coming from my head. "You are losing his trust Arthur," the voice mutters.

"Who are you?" I hiss into the darkness of my room.

"We met once before. On the day you abandoned who you are."

On the day I abandoned who I am...

"The Druid."

"Indeed. It seems you remember Arthur Pendragon. Do you remember the warning I had given you when we first met?"

A shiver runs down my spine. The warning had haunted me for sometime now. "Yes, I do."

"Clearly you do not. I will say now as I said before. Emrys is losing faith, even more so then before. You must regain that trust and fast. For if you do not... worst things are to come then your father's death."

"This Emrys is a sorcerer, isn't he? Why should I trust him?"

"Because you know full well what will happen if you do not."

The memories from the crystal cave resurface in my mind. The palace up in flames, a sorceress, who I now realize is Morgana, sitting on the throne with Merlin at her feet.

"Then tell me who Emrys is! How can I 'regain his trust' if I don't even know who he is?!"

The Druid sighs. "It is not my place to reveal his identity, but I will tell you this. He is someone who is close to you. Very close."