Chapter 20 - I'm Sorry

Merlin's POV

"Knew what? What aren't you telling me Merlin?"

I jump at the sudden voice, causing me to almost topple from my seat on the bed. I stare in shock at Arthur. He has his arms crossed and he looks furious. I didn't know what to do so I blurt out the first excuse to pop into my head.

"I have a terrible drinking problem. I've been going to the tavern even more recently since Gwaine came back and I'm thinking I should tell you," I say.

Arthur walks into the room and shuts the door behind him.

"Merlin, I know you don't go to the tavern. I've gone every single time Gaius said you were there. I never find you. I assumed you were trying to skip work but now I see this isn't the case."

"I...I um."

"I thought you said you wanted me to know. Well now's your chance."

I start to tremble. I'm nervous, scared even. I've never been more afraid in my entire life. Arthur doesn't seem to notice. He continues to glare at me, seething with rage.

"Merlin. What is it?! What are you so afraid of telling me?!" Arthur raises his voice. He's shouting now.

I can't get the words out of my mouth. I feel them lodge in my throat as I struggle to speak.

"Sire! Please, calm down! You're frightening the poor boy!" I hear Gaius yell worriedly.

Arthur seems to break from his trance. He looks at me and breathes in deeply, trying to slow his breathing. "I'm sorry Merlin," he whispers, falling to his knees and wrapping his arms around my waist, his head in my lap. "I'm sorry I scared you."

I feel my muscles relax. I stop shaking. I never realized how much I missed him till now. "It's alright. I'm fine, really."

Arthur let's go and sits down beside me. He looks to Gaius, who nods and leaves the room. Arthur turns back to me. "Let me ask again. What aren't you telling me, Merlin?" This time his voice is calm.

I take in a shaky breath. "I can't tell you."

"Can't or won't?"

"Both. I won't tell you because if I do you'll kill me. I can't tell you because I don't want to hurt you."

"Why would I kill you?"

"You'll know why when you find out."

"Does your secret involve a person named Emrys?"

I feel my muscles tense. I feel a bead of sweat trickle down my neck. "Who's Emrys?"

Arthur watches me closely, as if he's trying to extract the information from my mind telepathically. "Apparently he's a sorcerer and someone I know very well. I need his help to stop Morgana from taking all of Camelot."

"Oh...um never heard of him. Sorry."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Even though everything seems to point to him being you?"

I stare back. I burst out laughing. "What are you talking about Arthur? Have you been in the tavern? I think you've drunk too much. Me? A sorcerer?"

Arthur turns away from me. "I saw you Merlin. When you snuck into Agravaine's chambers, you used magic to unlock the door."

I stop laughing. I feel my heart start to race in my chest. "I don't know what you mean."

"I didn't realize it at first but now it's clear you used magic. Merlin... I want to hear it from you. Are you a sorcerer?"

-----