Chapter 33 - The First Attempt

Scarlett's POV

~A few days later~

I gaze out at the large palace looming ahead of me. It's tall towers stand out among the trees. Soon it will all be gone.

I turn around to face the army behind me. It consisted of about a hundred men and women. All sorcerers. This should be enough to take down Camelot. A smile spreads across my face. It's either now or never.

-----

Arthur's POV

I'm just about to enter my chambers when a loud explosion reverberates down the empty hall. The torches on the wall shake from the sudden rock of the castle. I grab the wall in order to stay on my feet. When the quaking stops I stumble towards the window.

I peer out and see fire. Fire everywhere. The lower town, the courtyard, even the side of the citadel is on fire. I curse. I didn't think the sorcerers would attack so soon.

I turn and race down the hall, the warning bell ringing through the palace.

-----

I burst through the doors of the throne room. I see the Knights of the Round Table all already waiting inside. Leon has his arms crossed over his chest when he walks towards me.

"My lord, are you alright?" He asks.

"I'm fine. What's the current situation?" I ask.

"Sorcerers are charging through the lower town as we speak. They took us completely by surprise."

"And the towns people? What of them?"

"We are currently evacuating them within the citadel. I'm not sure if we'll be able to get them all in before the sorcerers arrive."

"Take a forth of the army. Get all the townspeople within the the walls. That is first priority."

"Yes, sire." Leon bows his head and exits the chamber. I hear his boots echo across the stone floor.

"Elyan contact the Druids now."

Elyan nods and rushes off.

I turn back to face the rest of my Knights. "We will hold the sorcerers back for as long as possible. We must buy them time."

They all nod and follow after me. Lancelot sprints off ahead to issue the order to the rest of the men.

I glance out the window again when we pass. A stream of people flow through the gates to the citadel. I see them being ushered quickly inside the safe confines of the palace walls. I race faster down the hall.

I arrive out on the courtyard and bolt towards the lower town. I turn down the path and see the army lined up in front of me. They're ransacking the place. I see them torch the houses and flood the market stalls. Various chants can be heard throughout the town for a large variety of spells.

My hands clench at my sides, shaking in anger. I hear the footsteps of my Knights come up behind me. They ready themselves in a line. Shields raised. It seems the sorcerers finally take notice. A few of them whip their heads around and smile evilly. They start to make their way forward. A couple of them have their hands raised, ready to attack.

They suddenly stop. I hear the familiar voice of a women sound above the crowd.

"Stop!" She yells.

I see the army before us part. She strides forward, purposeful. She has her head held high, shoulders set back, and a determined expression on her face. Her flaming red hair flows freely down her shoulders, green eyes piercing through the night. A smile creeps onto her face. A cruel, soulless smile.