037B

Time seemed to stop.

All Eddie Munson could focus on was the way Talia Wheeler's body dropped, smacking against the rough ground as the hoard of bats around them let out weak cries as they, too, fell from the air. He felt stuck, feet cemented to the ground as he stared at her in a daze. His spear fell to the ground, hands shaking as tears gathered in his eyes. Why wasn't she getting up?

"Talia!"

It was Dustin who broke Eddie from his immobilizing pain. Shooting forward, Eddie's knees harshly hit the ground as he dropped down beside her body. Dustin reached them moments later, adrenaline overcoming the pain from the limbs broken in his fall from the gate. All he could do was watch helplessly as the older male gathered Talia's limp body in his arms and pulled her into his lap.

Blood stained Eddie's shaking hands, leaving a trail on Talia's exposed flesh as he brought a hand to cup her cheek. Tears fell from his eyes and trickled down his cheeks. A choked sob left him as her face remained painfully still under his burning gaze.

"Talia," he shook her lightly, "come on, you gotta wake up, Lia." He shook her again—nothing.

Dustin hiccuped, tears streaming down his cheeks. He felt guilty. She had been fine. It was him who didn't listen to her—who distracted her.

"I'm sorry," he croaked out, shoulders shaking. It was as if Eddie didn't hear him, making no inclination that he had as he began desperately shaking the girl.

"Wake up, T. Please, I can't lose you."

She didn't. Talia's eyes reminded closed. Eddie couldn't help the heart-wrenching sound that escaped him, his body folding over hers and he held her close to him. Dustin's cries grew louder, his knees giving out as reality came crashing down.

It felt like a lifetime had past before rushed footsteps were heard. Dustin's head snapped up, catching sight of the three figures rapidly moving their way. It was them—Nancy, Steve, and Robin. They hadn't seen them yet, Dustin realized, noting the trees that hindered their view. His stomach fell even further than it already had.

It was Robin who saw them first, horror etching onto her features as she caught sight of Eddie's hunched over body and Dustin's tear soaked cheeks. Her feet faltered before moving even faster, rushing towards the fallen group with a newfound sense of panic.

Nancy noticed her change of pace, glancing over at the taller girl before following her line of sight. She felt nauseous when her eyes landed on what had panicked the girl so much. Taking off after her, Nancy quickly caught up.

The abrupt movement caught Steve's attention, too. A pit forming in his stomach as he hurried his pace. It wasn't until he broke through the tree line that he finally saw what had scared the two girls. He, too, felt panic rise as he realized what was happening—what had happened.

"Talia!" Nancy cried out, finally able to see what Eddie had been hunching over. She sprinted even faster, passing Robin and not stopping until she had reached them. She dropped beside Eddie, who had dazedly looked up at her. He looked broken.

"I'm sorry," he weakly spoke, voice cracking. His eyes flickered further, catching sight of the devastated look on Robin's face as she held Steve close to her. The Harrington boy's shoulder shook as his body was wracked with sobs, face buried in his best friends shoulder. He couldn't bare to look at Talia—for this to be the last way he remembered her.

Eddie's eyes flickered back down, latching on to the sight of Talia's face. She looked peaceful. The thought comforted him, but it did nothing to soothe the ache he felt in his heart.