XXII. You Think This Is A Joke?

act two: getting you back▌chapter twenty-two

▌chapter twenty-two .  .  .
you think this is a joke?

          Beatrix had been missing three days now

Beatrix had been missing three days now. I was sitting with Aisha and Bloom in the courtyard. "Wanna take bets on when the staring's gonna stop?

"Look, the Dragon Flame's a legend. Now you both are too. I give it at least a week before they get bored. Is this an eight? Eighty-something? Are those waves? Eight waves?" Aisha said trying to understand Bloom's handwriting.

"BW. Blood Witches."

"Oh."

"I cannot believe you didn't do the reading!" Bloom says.

"I've been swimming a lot this week."

"Is that what they're calling it now? Swimming?" I laugh. "What's, uh, Grey's favorite stroke?"

"Butterfly. And I know about Blood Witches. They aren't super common, but they are a thing. I assumed I could wing it."

"My handwriting is not that bad. Let me see." Bloom examines her notebook. "Ah, Blood Witch powers. Basically, their element is blood, so they can control muscles and bones. Their own and other people's. Creepy. And now, apparently, they steal magic from fairies. Creepier."

Aisha's phone chimes and I take it. "It'll be quick. Promise. We have this joke about a hawk..."

"You told me. It's cute. What's not cute is you not doing well on this quiz and sulking after. So get to the Dominion Wars section. Back then, Blood Witches were so powerful that they-"

"Could control people's bodies from miles away." Aisha finishes. "Yeah, that much I remember."

"Fine. As a reward you get your phone back." We get up and walk through the courtyard. "Apparently, the Dominion Wars were the last time the Dragon Flame existed. It's been dormant for a thousand years."

"So, it's not hereditary?"

"Rosalind thinks that it surfaces in times of great conflict because that's not ominous enough at all."