We Get Advice from A Poodle

Y/n's POV

We were pretty miserable that night.

We camped out in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers. I felt horrible looking at it. The pollution and litter irritating me in a deep way that I could not fully explain.

We'd taken some food and blankets from Aunty Em's, but we didn't dare light a fire to dry our damp clothes. The Furies and Medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. We didn't want to attract anything else.

We decided to sleep in shifts. I quickly offered to take the first which Percy contested. But I told him he could go second.

Annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground. Grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest bough of a tree. And Percy sat against the trunk with a blanket pulled over him. I glanced behind me to quickly see that neither of them had fallen asleep.

"You guys should sleep," I told them. "We've had a long day and we all need some rest."

Grover nodded as Percy spoke up.

"I'm not that tired."

I wanted to contest him more but didn't have the heart. Merely nodding as I turned back. Trying to get a bit more comfortable as I heard Grover sigh behind me.

"Doesn't it make you guys sad?"

I didn't have to ask him to know what he was talking about. That same disgusting feeling settling into my stomach as I turned back to the trash infested marsh.

"It's horrible." I replied.

"What's horrible?" Percy asked.

"Just look around Percy," Grover answered. "You can't walk ten feet without tripping on a piece of garbage. And the sky. You can't even see the stars. They've polluted the sky. This is a terrible time to be a satyr."

As he spoke, I reflected back on my child home. A calm quiet woodland cabin. A picture of peace and serenity. Nature and the earth at its purest form. Undisturbed by the taint of humankind. Well at least it used to be.

"Oh, yeah I guess you'd be an environmentalist." Percy replied.

I glared back at him. Grover joining in as I spoke.

"Percy, I don't think I have to tell you that this isn't good," I pointed to the mounds of trash in front of us. "We're killing the planet and everything on it. Like an infection. And people just choose to ignore it."

Grover quickly continued for me. "Y/n's right barely anyone cares. Humanities already destroyed so much. At this rate I'll never find Pan."

"Pam? Like the cooking spray?" Percy spoke in confusion.

"I thought that was spam." I added.

"Pan!" Grover cried indignantly. "P-A-N. The great god Pan! What do you think I want a searcher's license for?"

A strange breeze rustled through the clearing, temporarily overpowering the stink of trash and much. It brought the smell of berries and wildflowers and clear rainwater, things that might have once been in these woods. A feeling of comfort and familiarity warming body. It reminded me of home.

"Tell me about the search." Percy said.

Grover looked at Percy almost cautiously, as if he were afraid, he was just making fun. He turned towards me slightly with the same expression. But I urged him on.