Still Hate Nightmares

Once again I was left in darkness. And I didn't know if I had the courage to open my eyes again. I hoped in my heart of hearts that it was over. That I would not have to continue through the pain staking memories. Against everything, I wished I was back in that black void inside my head. It was only the time I wanted to see them. That horrible version of myself again. Anything was better than the alternative.

But as I opened my eyes I knew deep down that I would not be spared from such a fate. That I would be forced to live through it once more. That I would have to face her once again.

"Y/n focus!"

My eyes shot open as she yelled at me. Snapping me back to attention.

"This is important! You need to know these things."

I couldn't bare to look at her again. So instead I tried to focus on the surrounding area. Familiarizing it with myself once again even though I knew no matter how much I stalled I would have to look at her again.

We were sitting under a large oak tree. Our packs laid out against some rocks as well as some sleeping back we had managed to find. I had lived this so many times I didn't even have to look around to know where we were. 

We had just made it past the border of Utah. And had managed to find a suitable camp site in a nearby forest. I wanted to light a fire but she said it was too risky. 

"Now back to what I was saying." She spoke.

I still refused to look at her. Turning my gaze to the skies above. The sun had only just set so the sky still had that slight tinge of pink. But even now I could begin to see the constellations forming over head. It reminded me of my home. The cabin in the forest. No pollution no city lights to block out the stars. It was only me, my father, and the pure sights of nature. But as I thought of my old life that only returned me back to more memories of my dad. By extension leading me back to the nightmare I had just lived. What a fool I had been. How naive I was. To take that life for granted. How stupid I was too long to see the world beyond. Could I not have just remained happy with that life? Or was I too selfish to appreciate it.

"Y/n. If you're going to star gaze at least try and listen while you do." I tried to ignore her. I didn't want to look I didn't want to. But I knew I had to eventually. And I had lived this nightmare long enough to know that if I didn't do it . I would be made too.

I let out a deep breath as I lowered my gaze. Starting small and working my way up. My eyes fell to her shoes. Normal dark Nike green running shoes laced up tightly covering her feet. I moved up slightly. Seeing her sky blue jeans wrapped around her legs. I then moved to her waist. A dark sheath wrapped around her belt with a night black handle poking out. I couldn't help but wince as I looked at it. The mere sight of my weapon attached to her bringing back worse memories. I let out another deep breath as I moved my eyes higher. Coming to the bright green t-shirt she wore over her chest. Blue accents moving across it forming a river like slash that ran from her shoulder to the opposite side of her waist. I could hardly force myself to look any farther. My eyes coming to her neck where her long auburn hair fell to her shoulders. I could hardly move as I forced myself to look up at her. To allow my eyes to meet hers.

Her face always seemed to have a sharpness to it. An air of maturity beyond her years. Her skin was smooth and bored an almost Mediterranean complexion. Her mouth curled in a slight smirk. Like she was amused at a joke only she knew. A look that suggested knowledge and wisdom beyond her years. And it was all framed by that same aubrun brown hair. But the most striking feature of all were her eyes. Bright forest green eyes staring back at mine.

"Are you alright Y/n?" she said almost in a parental like tone.

I wanted to say no. But I was helpless in this dream. This nightmare. I could do nothing say nothing. I was only allowed to watch as everything played out before me. Repeating every action against my will. Every word against my will.