The Final Showdown

Percy's POV

A Coast Guard boat picked us up, but they were too busy to keep us for long, or to wonder how three kids in street clothes had gotten out into the middle of the bay. There was a disaster to mop up. Their radios were jammed with distress calls.

They dropped us off at the Santa Monica Pier, towels draped over our shoulders, and three spare water bottles.

As soon as my feet touched the sand, I couldn't stop shaking. I collapsed on to my knees, my water bottle spilling out beside me. I pounded the ground in anger, as tears began to trickle down my face. I had failed them, I couldn't save my mom, and because of that I got my friend killed.

He had thrown himself at danger so many times to save me. The Minotaur, Medusa, The Chimera, and now Hades himself. And what did I ever do for him? I'd eaten a burger before deciding to help him. I was no hero, I couldn't save anyone.

I felt Grover and Annabeth walk up from behind me. My two friends, the last two people on this earth that mattered to me, knelt down beside me. Each of them offering their own silent comfort, at least I still had them.

"We'll miss him, we all will. He was better than all of us." Annabeth spoke.

"But he'd want us to keep going and not waste the second chance he gave us. Your mother would say the same thing." Grover finished.

I nodded my head slightly. Wiping away the moisture from my face as I spoke. "Yeah, you're both right. We can't give up now, quitting isn't what their lives were worth. We just have to keep going."

They nodded assuringly, the three of us standing up together as we supported each other.

"Besides, we still have to get some pay back for what he did." I said.

"Wha-" Grover tried to cut in.

"It was a trick from the beginning." I added. "You get it right?"

"Unfortunately I do," Annabeth responded. "A strategy worthy of Athena." She dropped her eyes, "Yeah I get it."

"Well I don't!" Grover complained. "Would somebody-"

"The prophecy was right." I said. "'You shall go west and face the god who has turned.' But it wasn't Hades. Hades didn't want war among the Big Three. Someone else pulled off the theft. Someone stole Zeus's master bolt, and Hades's helm, and framed me because I'm Poseidon's kid. Poseidon will get blamed by both sides. And even if they don't think it's him, in their minds Y/n another powerful half-blood could've been working for anyone, further pushing the tension. And by sundown today there will be a three-way war. And I'll have caused it."

Grover shook his head mystified. "But who would be that sneaky? Who would want war that bad?"

I stopped in my tracks, looking down the beach, where in the distance the outline of a motorbike and a black clad figure was barely visible. "Gee, let me think."

Y/n's POV

I woke up face down on the ground, I raised my head groggily. Staring wide eyed at the sight before me. There were skeletons lying in piles of bone and dust, the Furies clinging to the walls as they tried to stand in pain, cracks and fissures lining the palace as wispy smokes of darkness seemed to radiate off of them. I stood up realizing I now clutched the same spear I had in my mind. The same vine handle, pink tinted tip, and rose covered surface. And a name seemed to spring forth as I gripped it in my palm. Clamor Terrae, Earth's Cry.

I nodded my head in appreciation as I turned to the side. And there Hades was, barely conscious as he gripped the sides of his throne. He pulled himself up, raising his gaze and locking on to me. A newfound anger rising up in him.