Chapter 24

Sirius

When the kids arrive home Harriet runs off with Remus as Leo asks to speak with me. I knew this day would come but I dreaded it. No longer did I have a little girl but a beautiful young woman. Leo sits across from me, and I sigh.

"I know why you asked to talk to me."

"I love her." He says holding my gaze. I truly believed he did, but I didn't want to think of this.

"Have you spoken to her about it?"

"Didn't see the point if you turned me down."

"She is my little girl and always will be. I have always done what I thought James and Lily would have wanted and honestly... I think they would have been proud to call you their son in law. Yes Leo, I will allow a contract between you and Harriet." I say giving him a small smile. I did truly think they would be happy with whoever she chose but you would have to be blind to miss the way they looked at each other. At the end of the day, I knew he would let her shine as brightly as she was always meant to while standing beside her.

"Thank you, Uncle Sirius, you won't regret it." He smiles.

"I know I won't." He leaves the room and Barty comes in.

"Finally agreeing she is growing up." He says smirking.

"I hate it, but I haven't seen two people more meant for each other. They remind me of Lily and James in a lot of ways."

"For what it is worth I think they are proud in how you raised her. They couldn't have picked a better godfather." He says giving me a genuine smile.

"Thanks Barty, you and Regulus did a fine job too. Leo is powerful and loyal to those who earn it. I can't wait to see what they do with this world once this is all over."

"Maybe even get us some grandkids." He laughs and I send a stinging hex at him as I glare.

"Hell no, I don't care if they marry but none of that." I couldn't handle even the thought of that.

"Who riled Sirius up?" My father asks coming into the room with Regulus.

"Sirius here agreed to a contract between Harriet and Leo. I just commented on how we might get some grandkids." Barty laughs as he attempts to use Regulus as a human shield.

"Hopefully more than one. It also wouldn't kill any of you to have a few more." My father says looking between us.

"Ask them, Barty is the one hung up on kids." I say glaring.

"Ah you don't want another little girl." Regulus laughs.

"Hell no, I can't do this shit again." I say shaking my head. Harriet was bad enough.

"You never know brother, I bet Harriet would love siblings." Barty laughs.

"Leo would too." I didn't need any more kids.

"Actually, we have been looking into it but with everything going on we didn't want to risk a baby." Regulus says seriously.

"What?" I ask shocked, my father looking just as surprised as me.

"We love Leo, but we always wanted a big family." Barty shrugs.

"Well, I don't." I tell them.

"What about Remus?" Regulus asks smirking.

"He has never mentioned kids." I say shaking my head.

"Wouldn't hurt to talk to him." Barty shrugs and I attempt to ignore them. I didn't need any other kids as long as I had Harriet.

Harriet

The first week back feels like everything is at a standstill. I was happy Sirius agreed to the contract, but the war cast a shadow over everything. I did feel better knowing he had someone to call his own. Even in my past life I always thought Remus and Sirius would make the perfect couple.

Jasper and Luna were excited when I write them about the contract. It was getting too dangerous to be out, so we were stuck with letters. We use our free time to practice our dueling. While I had expanded my magic use, I didn't want to slack.

As the attacks pick up, we do what we can. My manors were still in use and runes were always in high demand. Leo and I fall into a routine but it feels like we aren't doing enough.

When the raids move to kidnapping muggles and muggleborns we do what we can to help. I tried everything to figure out why they would kidnap them and not just kill them, but I can't figure it out. While most of the muggleborns who went to Hogwarts were safe in either my manors or in approved houses we had nothing planned for the small children who showed accidental magic. The ministry was going through every employee. The only way they would get notice of accidental magic was if they had someone on the inside.

Friday morning, we are called into the sitting room, and I see everyone already seated.

"There is an issue. With us attempting to take any child showing magic the orphanage is becoming overfilled. The minister is going to push to have people come in to adopt but with the war most are not willing to take in a child." Orion explains.

"I mean didn't Barty say they wanted more kids." Sirius says.

"You two can always come with us." Regulus smirks and I look down to hide my smile. With everything going on it would be nice to have something good happen.

"It wouldn't hurt." I say not looking at him.

"I don't want more kids. I love you to death kid but no." Sirius says shaking his head.

"Come on Siri, come with us." Regulus smiles. I can see his resolve crumble and chuckle.

"I don't mind going." Remus says looking at him.

"Fine but I'm not coming home with one." He huffs.

"Good, we will set you four up a meeting to visit." I say and Orion just chuckles.

"Are you two coming?" Barty asks.

"Nope, kids are not even on our radar right now." Leo says and I nod. I loved kids but now was not the time.

~

It doesn't take much to set up the meeting and with the Lord of the house supporting them I had a feeling things would be changing in the house. The same day we receive a letter from Luna saying the wrackspurts were pleased with them going to the orphanage. At this point I didn't even question how she knew and was thankful we were on the right track. That night I relax, laying my head on Leo's lap.

"Do you really think now is a good time to send them?" While I was excited, I knew we were also at war.

"If any family can protect a child, it is ours. Luna said the wrackspurts support this." He says. He was right about that, but it didn't stop the fear. I refused to see a child hurt.

"A few more years and it will be us planning our ceremony." I say smiling.

"I can't wait to officially call you mine. When all this is over, we are taking a month to just travel." He says. I liked that idea. While it felt so far away right now, I refused to put my life on hold for this war. I did that my last life and look where it got me.