Chapter 34

Harriet

I break free of the hold Regulus has on me but fall the moment I try to run towards Leo. My heart shatters when he doesn't get up. Barty reaches him first and pulls him close.

"He's alive but his pulse is weak!" He shouts but it doesn't stop the fear of losing him as I watch him apparate away.

"Go with Barty, I got her." Sirius tells Regulus as he walks towards me. Regulus nods and apparates away as Sirius starts healing my leg. I look over at Voldemort's body but feel no satisfaction. The ground is littered with debris and the dead from both sides. So many countless deaths for no real reason.

"Come on." Sirius says helping me stand.

"I want to stay here. I need to help out." I can't sit there and wait for the verdict. Just standing here already has my heart rising and I need to keep busy.

"Are you sure?" He asks surprised.

"Yeah, go home and check on the kids. I am sure they are worried." I say pulling on the familiar blank mask. Memories are blending with the now and I need something to take my mind off of it all. He looks unsure but nods and goes to find Remus. With the moon still out, the werewolves couldn't shift back.

I allow the praise and questions if I am ok to wash over me as I help clean up the battle ground. Numbness sets in as I help lift children's bodies so they can be buried. At some point Luna and Jasper join me but they don't try to talk to me. Madam Bones stops me once, but she must recognize the look on my face because she doesn't order me to leave. Remus helps with moving the rubble but continues to glance at me.

It isn't until the sun begins to rise that Luna lays her hand on my arm. I turn and look at her.

"He will wake soon, and you need to be there. No one will blame you for leaving. You are not letting them down by not staying to finish cleaning up. You did good and you couldn't have saved them. It isn't your fault." Her words hit me like a ton of bricks, breaking my blank mask. I hit my knees as tears run down my cheeks. Arms wrap around me, and I turn my head into Remus's chest.

Remus

I hold her tightly as she cries. I remember holding her mother the same way as she cried over the thought of her daughter in danger. She had screamed and cried over how it wasn't fair, how we were too young to be dealing with war. Now I am holding Harriet and once again I am hit with how young she is. Yeah, she came back but that didn't matter. In both lives she had fought in war far too young.

"I'm here, no matter what happens or what emotions you have, I'm here. You won't go through this alone." I promise, holding her just a little tighter. I allowed others to push me away after the last war, but I refuse to go anywhere.

Once her tears begin to fade, I help her stand and apparate us to St. Mongo's. We are quickly led to a waiting room where the rest of the family is waiting. Rigel reaches me first and hugs me. No longer was he fearful of our touch and it helps lessen some of the pain.

"How is he?" Harriet asks as Rigel moves to hug her.

"Hopefully we get news soon." Orion says. I take my seat next to Sirius and grab his hand. Fate wouldn't be so cruel to take him from us.

Harriet

I occupy my mind with playing with the twins. It is likely they won't remember this and for that I am thankful.

It is another ten minutes before a healer comes out and we all stand.

"He is fine, a little magically exhausted but should make a full recovery. He is lucky, with the spells he shouldn't be alive." She explains and I smile.

"When can we see him?" I ask, I needed to see him with my own eyes.

"He is actually awake right now if you want to come back."

The moment I walk into the room I run over hugging him. He holds me close as he whispers he is ok. I don't want to let go but I know everyone else wants to see him. Finally stepping back, I watch as the rest of the family hugs him. Adhara and Scorpio cling to him and I chuckle as they settle down beside him. Seems they missed their big brother.

We spend the rest of visiting hours talking about anything but the war. While there is still so much to do it can all wait. My family was safe and together. Right now, that is all that matters.

Leo

I am released the next day and spend my first night home just enjoying time with everyone. Hearing what Rigel is was a shock but it doesn't matter, I love him regardless.

The next day we are called to the ministry and while the twins didn't want me to leave, I promise I will return. I am questioned about the time I was held captive, and I tell them the story Luna had told me to tell. They don't question me much once they think I was being held to lure out Harriet. I wasn't going to complain, it would be hard to explain something I hadn't actually gone through.

It moves onto talk of press conferences and rebuilding and I lean back. This was more of Harriet's department. There were now even more children that needed not only homes but mental help for the things they witnessed. Raids on homes of death eaters were already underway and the trials for those who had turned themselves in were the first on the books. We were in for months of work and while we are offered to go back to Hogwarts to complete our education, we opt to just take our newts at the ministry. School held little value when there was so much to do.

When we finally make it home, I pull Harriet to my room and we lay on my bed, her head on my chest.

"You know nothing mattered when I was captured as long as you were safe. The gods spoke to me again. I was willing to do anything as long as you made it through this." I tell her.

"I waited as long as I could but when they told me they were stopping the search I was done. I got deputized as an auror. I was out there everyday looking for anything that would help me find you. This world didn't feel worth saving without you in it." She admits.

"Well, I'm back for good. We will get through this rebuilding and continue to make sure nothing like this can happen again. As long as you are by my side, I know we can do it." I say and lift her chin to kiss her. I needed nothing else as long as she was beside me.

"I love you." She says when we break apart.

"I love you too, never again will I leave you." I had done my job, now I wanted the future.

A/N:

The last chapter will be out tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who has read and enjoyed this book. I am wanting to write one shots on different scenes from this book in other character point of views. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.