9. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

A bright light disturbed my eyes until, at last, they fluttered open. I mumbled at the sunlight streaming in through my window, wishing I'd shut the curtains before I slept yesterday.
Wait. Wasn't today important?

I patted my comfy covers with my hands until I felt my phone.
Bringing it up to my face, I squinted at the time. 9:40 stared back at me. My eyes widened. "Holy Shit! Blitz, I thought I said seven?!"

"You did. But by seven, you also said 'snooze'."

"What? Noo!" I mourned. "I'm gonna be late. It'll be just like high school again."

Springing up from my king-size bed, I dropped to begin push-ups. "Never listen to 'snooze me' ever again. How could you trust him?"

"You're being illogical."

"Says the Rotore who listened to an-" I puffed as I pushed up the eighth time. "-illogical request."

"So you're pinning this on me?"

I heaved a sigh as I pushed up for the final time. "No. And it looks like there's no time for the rest of the exercise routine."

"Then get a move on."

I headed into the bathroom and swiped the toothpaste, slipping some onto the brush.

"So what do you think my excuse should be?"

Blitz's voice became more jovial. "They're your friends. They don't need elaborate excuses. And if this really was your high school norm, then I'm sure they'll be expecting you to show up late anyway."

"Thanks, buddy," I let the sarcasm drip. "That was really motivational."

"All I'm saying is that honesty builds lasting bonds. Or in this case, rebuilds them."

I pouted in consideration. "Fair enough."

I finished brushing and took a quick shower then entered my walk-in closet with a towel to select an outfit; one that would allow me to blend in and go below the radar.

"A pair of slightly faded blue jeans, a white t-shirt, a grey beanie, and a pair of sunshades," Blitz suggested. "I know I said you should make your own fashion choices, but my calculations showed that your poor fashion sense would increase the delay by at least an extra ten minutes."

I puffed in retaliation but still dragged the suggested clothes off their hangers. "I picked the white tux last night, you know." I recalled.

"Yeah it was already a complete set, and you still spent eight minutes on that."

"You're rude." I grumbled.

"I prefer blunt. But I sense some chemical signals relating to emotional hurt, did I offend you?"

I looked at my Rolex watch on a nearby drawer but decided against it. Ignoring Blitz, I headed out of the closet--fully dressed-- to the balcony outside my room.

To make it in time, there was only one way to travel.

Solidifying my armor, I entered cloaking mode and popped out my jet pack; charging it and blasting off into the sky.