26. FOR THE CRY OF MANY

JASON'S POV

A groggy feeling overwhelmed me. Double vision followed every slow blinking of my eyes.

What... happened? I tried to recall. Then it all came flooding back.

Kazar's attack, Blitz's extraction, Nic and Gina making out, Nic being kidnapped. The crash on the sidewalk.

I squeezed my eyes shut and groaned. "No."

For some reason, my forehead felt sticky. Patting it with my hand, I realized it was a nasty cut, courtesy of falling on the ground.

I unzipped my hoodie to tear a large piece of my shirt and wrap it tightly around my forehead before getting up to my feet.

Then I spotted an incoming taxi and flagged it down.

Limping into the back, I collapsed with a sigh.

"Woah!" The driver screamed as he observed me.

"Don't...freak out. I'm... fine." The biggest lie I ever told myself.

*****

There I stood at the tall black gates of my Villa. The taxi drove away with me still stiff as a statue. Emptiness awaited me inside. And I had no choice but to embrace it.

"Open," I cried and the voice command function acted accordingly, initiating the automatic opening.

Lumbering inside the compound, one painful step at a time, I walked to the back of the house to be greeted by a large pile of dirt and a big, dark, empty hole.

He really took it. I hung my head.

*****

I threw open the fridge door, grabbed a bottle of water, and downed it instantly. Right when I was about to close it, I paused and pulled out a bottle of champagne. Then I slammed it shut and hobbled upstairs.

In my room, I laid the bottle on a side stool and entered my walk-in closet to reemerge with a first-aid kit. Good thing I still remembered how to use it.

Once I had treated my wounds, I swiped the bottle and slowly got to my balcony.

A wave of nostalgia hit me. A year ago I was on a balcony with a drink in hand. Only that this time, I wasn't with Nic.

I popped it open and took a swig.

But the frown couldn't be helped. This wasn't what I wanted. I didn't want to drown the pain and disappointment I was feeling only for it to resurface later on. Only for the world to end.

With a grieved sigh, I took a step back and hurled the bottle into the night in a fit of rage.

What could I do? I slumped on the wall until I was crouching with my head between my legs. I was numb and overwhelmed at the same time. Nothing made sense again. Everything seemed hopeless.

Sleep was about to embrace me but the sudden ring of my phone shook me awake.

I looked at the Contact's name. 'Your Captain.'

Recognizing who it was, a chuckle escaped me.

"I've saved my number on it. I'm gonna head to the reception to wait for my ride. See you around, McLean."

Shaking off the reverie, I picked up. "Hello."

"Bro...you sound like a zombie. Is everything alright?" Scott asked.

I didn't respond. Instead, thoughts about his reaction to the truth swarmed my mind.

"I was just calling for an advanced scoop on the monster battle that took place today. You covered it, right?"