Chapter: 45

This chapter contains extreme angst, please read with caution

Sorry.

What a simple, yet complex word.

Depending on the context, a word can mean nothing or everything. Depending on the amount of buildup. Depending on the offense. The word cannot change the past. It cannot seize time's hands and force them backward, undoing mistakes and mending hearts, friendships, and memories. However, it can aid in the reconstruction of a significant portion of the past. It can assist people in moving forward and leading to forgiveness or closure. It can make you appreciate happy memories more, and it can let people know that they aren't completely despised.

Jimin knew it was coming but he didn't expect it to play out like this.

As he squeezed his eyes shut, Jimin's mascara-coated eyelashes tickled his cheeks. Three, two, one. That was all he could say to himself before opening his eyes and sobbing on the shared bed. He had no choice but to return to the hotel and hide. Life had ended. There was nothing he could do to turn back the clock and make everything right.

It's over.

He was conflicted. To close his eyes and try to escape into the past, where Hoseok and he were both so happy and content, so in love that the world could never hurt them, or to keep his eyes open, savoring Hoseok's beauty. In the dim light, Jimin's eyelashes would cast slightly downward, silhouetted across his cheekbones. The way his mouth parted, pleasure etched across the rest of his face as he moaned softly to Hoseok. Quietly.

Looking back, he knew he had been wrong. He was deflecting. Scared and hurt. Hoseok hadn't changed at all. Not even one little bit. But maybe that was the problem. They both move in different directions but are still tied so tightly together. Unable and unwilling to cut the cord loose.

For both of them, Jimin was lost in the past, hanging on for dear life. That, and he knew Hoseok wouldn't dare to look at him like this. Jimin had no idea what Hoseok had known all these years, but he could make a guess. Visions of him with another person. Jimin had no idea how Hoseok felt right now, but he could speculate about it.

And he hated himself.

Jimin had a once-upon-a-time. Hoseok was the one Jimin trusted the most. The one who had always been there for them. Loved him unconditionally. The one who would never hurt him.

And Jimin ruined that the night when he had fallen into another's bed.

That night was regrettable.

Jimi remember exactly how they would push glass after glass into each other's hand, downing more themselves until they were both laughing, sputtering messes. Yoongi wasn't drunk, surprisingly enough. Young's nights of getting drunk made his liver somewhat more tolerable, and Jimin was the definition of lightweight. Within three shots he was drunk, but Yoongi was still aware of everything with four. Yoongi would nudge Jimin's laughing form, that was babbling nonsense.