Book of the month October 2022: Chronicles of Ilandri

Looking for some appropriately themed dark fantasy for this spooky season? Chronicles of Ilandri is your book – an intense, psychologically charged, and brutal piece of fantasy fiction by AChattock, who you may know for his exemplary editing services. So, I don't have to tell you that this story is tightly paced and beautifully constructed – that's a given when you consider the author's experience – rather, I'd like to focus this shoutout on one word that we often struggle to pin down when we write: atmosphere.

Chronicles has this in spades, and it comes from the way the author seamlessly weaves details of the setting with those of the character and battles. We follow Nathaniel in this story, a guard in the city of Ollorath, who one day stumbles upon knowledge of a plot to destroy the city he loves. An army of goblins has assembled, unified by a sinister intelligence that has led them to become more organized and well-equipped than ever before. Of course, dutiful Nathaniel reports his findings to the city council. The result? Imprisonment and accusations of treason. It's up to Nathaniel to escape his prison sentence, muster the forces of the city, and try and save it from certain destruction. Or, at the very least, evacuate the people before they're slaughtered to the man.

This short synopsis is staying spoiler free – there's a lot more intricate plot details that result from this setup, but right away you begin to get a sense of the dark, brooding atmosphere this story creates. Nathaniel is a hero we empathise with – not some spiritually destined chosen one – just a professional trying to do his job. His dedication to his city is admirable, and we're on his side when the bureaucracy and corruption of the city council leads to his incarceration. The story sets up a world where such a man can be ruthlessly tossed aside by his society, and left to die. That's what it means to create a dark atmosphere in your fantasy – give us a character we can empathise with, and set the entire world against them right off the bat.

I mentioned the setting before – and how the details of the world are well integrated with Nathaniel's thought processes. Nowhere is this more apparent than some of the epic battle sequences littered throughout the book. We've got medieval siege warfare where we see the defenders actually reacting to each move the opposing army makes, and duels between warriors where flashy action is eclipsed by more methodical and logical thinking and precision – Nathaniel is a logically minded man, always trying to probe his opponents' weaknesses, and it makes for some fascinating combat scenes. In addition, the settings of this story actually contribute to each and every scenario – no detail feels out of place or superfluous. The journey of a displaced population takes place against rainswept dark forests that set the tone of paranoia and desperation perfectly, and the emotional impact of a village being decimated by bandits is keenly felt as we are forced to consider the fires that consume their homes, or the bodies left out to rot in the sun. All this contributes to the dark atmosphere of this story, well-crafted to make anyone feel a chill rise up their spine.

If you're looking for a story this month that is tightly paced, well structured, and that truly places you firmly in the world of its main character, then I can't recommend Chronicles of Ilandri enough. A great read by an author that knows his craft.