The Fall of Spider-Man Part 2

1 Year Ago

Earth 616

Spider-Man swung from the tops of buildings as he'd done for many many years. He launched a web from his shooters towards an overpass, and swung underneath it, before catapulting off the web on the other side.

"Last time, Pete," he muttered to himself. "Save the picture in your head."

"Get out of here, threat!" came a call from below.

"Jameson was right, you are a menace!" a female shouted.

As he swung by the police headquarters, he noticed some police officers leaning over the side.

"We don't want you here, Spider-Man," the leader declared grimly.

"Guys, listen," he pacified as he landed on the NYPD building. "I know that we haven't always gotten along, now more so than ever." He whispered the last part under his breath.

"For good reason!" a young officer shouted. "I believed that you truly were a hero, but in the end you became nothing more than a dictator!"

"That was not me," he sighed tiredly, before shaking his head at the futility of his words. "But that's not important right now. We have a massive monster heading straight for the city today. You guys need to be ready for a fast evacuation."

"And why would we believe you?" the lead officer asked incredulously.

"You can choose not to," Peter shrugged. "But what if I'm right?"

The officer in charge looked thoughtful.

"What's the harm?" Peter tried to coax. "If it isn't true, you can just chalk it up to one more false claim by the threat. God knows Jameson would have a field day. But if it is? You would be saving lives."

The silence persisted for a few seconds. When the lead officer opened his mouth to respond, a voice cut him off.

"We'll be ready, Spider-Man," a woman called from the corner. Peter and all the officers turned to look. Yuri Watanabe strolled out from the shadows, with several other high ranking policemen behind her.

 Yuri Watanabe strolled out from the shadows, with several other high ranking policemen behind her

"Yur-Captain Watanabe!" Peter exclaimed in surprise. 

"It really wasn't you?" an old voice asked from behind her. The Commissioner of the NYPD stood looking hopeful at him. He was an old supporter of Spider-Man, helping relieving police pressure on him in his early days.

"No sir," Peter responded. "The Superior Spider-Man was Otto Octavius. He wanted to prove that he could be a better hero than me."

"I knew it!" came an excited shout from behind the officers. "I knew it wasn't you!"

"We have more important things to worry about," Peter announced grimly.

"Right," Yuri muttered, before speaking up. "Any idea where the creature will appear?"