What We Have Lost

Present Day

Earth 616

Steve Rogers buried his face into his hands. Despite all his attempts at keeping himself focused, all he could think about was how much he'd failed at keeping people safe.

New York was lost to them. 

A year ago, the entire city had watched Spider-Man desperately fighting a giant creature, and eventually sacrificing his life to destroy it. He'd been out on a mission against HYDRA when it'd happened, but he'd seen the calls come in from Spider-Man, and chosen to ignore them. He had lost patience with the vigilante after he had slowly turned more cold, more cruel. It was heartbreaking watching a man that Steve had personally admired lose his principles, and fall deeper into the darkness.

When the Avengers had returned, they'd been confronted with the news that he'd perished, causing great strife and grief among their ranks. Even he'd been moved to tears, because despite all the problems that he'd had with Spider-Man, he still counted him as a great man, and a good friend. 

The funeral was held the next day, with most heroes, even after all the recent disagreements they'd had with the man in question, showing up to honour their fallen comrade. So, too, did the majority of the human super-villains. All of the New York based ones, those that were often considered part of Spider-Man's rogue's gallery, showed up to pay their respects to a worthy adversary. That was when they found out the truth.

XXXX

1 Year Ago

Earth 616

The church where they'd chosen to hold the memorial was packed. There were more people gathered in and around the church than there'd ever been at Madison Square Garden for a concert. It seemed like the entire city had turned up to mourn the hero.

The entire funeral was being sponsored by Tony Stark, as well as Norman Osborn, as a last salute to his great nemesis. SHIELD had offered to take care of security, but the NYPD had firmly disagreed. 

May Parker-Jameson was sobbing in the front row. She'd only recently learnt that Peter had been Spider-Man, just shortly after his death. Jay, her husband, was rubbing her back, stifling tears himself. Kaine and Teresa Parker were beside him, both solemn and grieving their brother, who'd given everything for them.

Next to them sat Mary Jane Watson, Peter's on-again, off-again love, who was staring at the empty coffin in front of them with no expression, tears slowly leaking out of her eyes. Next to her was another one of Peter's lovers. Felicia Hardy sat stone faced, her mind a whirlwind of emotions.

The Avengers, most of the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, the Defenders, the Inhuman Royal Family, the Order of the Web, and several more famous heroes were sitting behind them.

The entire audience seemed to be on edge when Rhino appeared, but he simply put his hands up, and told them that he meant no harm.

"I'm only here to pay my respects," he declared solemnly.

After a few seconds, the police commissioner eventually made the executive decision of letting him through. He also promised, against the advice of many heroes, that Rhino won't be arrested today.

Shortly after, several more villains arrived, from some of Spider-Man's most recognisable enemies, like Electro and Kraven, to some of his least, like Slyde and Stilt Man. Later, even some non-Spider-Man villains, like Viper and Moonstone, showed up.

None of them had any action taken against them, despite several Avengers wanting to.

Then was the moment that broke most of their hearts. Another villain arrived, this time garbed in white and black attire, with green lines throughout. He looked very much like Spider-Man himself, apart from the tentacles emerging from his back. It took very little time for everyone to realise who he was.