Darkseid

14 Years Ago

Earth Prime

"Why are you here?" Peter asked the giant, hoping beyond hope that they could settle this without a fight. The rest of the team was out of commission, with Superman and Flash just beginning to groan and grip their heads.

"I don't wish to speak to insects like you," the giant dismissed, turning away.

"Rude," Peter muttered, before launching his webs at the giant and swinging a kick at his back. Darkseid stumbled forward slightly, only to be thrown back when Superman and the Flash both sped into his chest. The monster rolled into a crouch, before growling in rage.

Something erupted from his eyes. Red beams of energy shot out at light speed, and Flash grabbed Superman and pushed him forward. 

"Move it!" he warned the Man of Steel.

However, despite their superlative speed, the beams were locked on them, with each beam following one of the heroes.

Flash, moving faster than ever before, started vibrating his body while he ran. He phased through a group of attacking aliens, with the beams disintegrating each of them, before losing power on the last one. He collapsed to his knees, exhausted.

Superman, meanwhile, took to the skies, but was unable to outfly the beam. It struck him right in the back, making him let out an agonising cry of pain. He lost consciousness, but was caught by an alien before he fell to the ground. It carried him off to the tower in the bay.

Flash, alarmed at the loss of their strongest player, rushed back to the others.

"They took him!" he cried, holding Peter by the shoulders and shaking him. "They took Superman!"

"Why?" Batman asked, with the others who had all now woken up.

"Let's ask him," Aquaman suggested, staring at the rock-like giant, who looked at them like they were below his notice. Aquaman's grip on his trident tightened when red beams of energy shot out of his eyes and crashed into fighter jets flying overhead.

"Happy to," Lantern agreed, clenching his fist tightly.

"I'm not with you guys," the half metal kid tried, but Batman was quick to shoot down his objection.

"I don't think he's gonna make that distinction," he retorted curtly.

"So what do I do," the cyborg despondently.

"Watch the light show, kid," Lantern answered cockily, flying into the sky and conjuring wrecking balls. "Green Lantern's got this,"

"Wait, Lantern-" Peter tried, only for the green clad hero to jump the gun.

Lantern struck Darkseid with his constructs, but they only prompted the alien to turn his head towards the cosmic hero. Darkseid's hands started glowing red, and he struck the ground with his fists. Lantern was shot away, as were all the other heroes. The entire block shook, and all the buildings collapsed to the ground.

As the others were still trying to regain their bearings, Lantern shook away the blow, which had been partially blocked by his hastily conjured shield.

"That all you got?" he asked mockingly, wiping away the blood from his nose. "Not all I got!"

He charged the dark god, but Darkseid merely nailed him in the stomach with a fist, sending him flying back.

While this was happening, Batman took The Spider to the side.

"Listen to me," he growled. "You're the best hope we have. You have to make them work together. None of us can take him alone."

"I don't know if you've noticed, Bats, but they aren't exactly listening to me," Peter shot back.