31. What are we looking for?

Please leave a vote before you start reading. 😘

None of us moved. We all stared at the mirror portal quietly, each with their different thoughts of doubts. Sibyl put an end to mine as she tapped me impatiently. "Are you guys just gonna stand there looking like idiots or go in?" I gently pushed her hand off.

"Guys, we need to go in. I don't know what we are going to see there, but I doubt it would be anything good," Elle finally cut through the silence.

"We will have to be ready for anything," Ann added.

"Lady's first," Gomez said with a playful bow.

"Aww," said Leaf, walking over to the mirror. "You're so sweet offering the ladies the opportunity to go in first but…" she drawled her last word, eyeing Gomez who stood in front of the mirror. "Think fast, Wolfie," before Gomez could even register her words, Leaf delivered a hard kick to his chest. Gomez immediately plunged backwards, falling into the portal. Elle let out a joyful whoop, going over to Leaf.

"Now that's what I'm talking about yo!" Elle said loudly. "High five, sister!" Leaf giggled and gave her a high five. They both laughed.

"Immaturity, step aside for the brave girl to show you all what proper portal diving looks like," Ann said snootily, strutting over to them majestically. She gave her hair an unnecessary flick and dived into the portal.

"Me next!" Leaf shouted and followed her, jumping in with a cannonball. Elle laughed, gave us a mock salute and flipped into the portal. Ace looked at me, stretching his hand out for me. I walked over to him, jumping over objects carefully.

"Be ready for anything, Rinette, I don't know what is down there," Sibyl said. "And thank you."

"Don't thank me yet,"

Ace cleared his throat. "Can you not talk to your ghost while I'm listening? It's creeping me out," I laughed and took his hand.

"You do look weak," I said with concern. "Are you sure you can come with us?"

"I'm fine, Rinette, I can't let you go unguarded,"

"You can barely keep yourself standing," I said anxiously. He was leaning on me for support. "Ace, I know you don't want me to get hurt but this isn't good for you. What if you get killed down there?"

"I'll be fine, just need food," he said almost inaudibly, bringing out a bagged sandwich from his pocket. I rolled my eyes but let him have a few minutes to himself to eat. He ate very fast and was done as soon as he started. "Okay," he said energetically. "I'm ready to go." He grinned, wiping his hands on the back of my yellow belted handkerchief spaghetti top.

Just ignore it, Marinette.

I sighed and simply pulled him to the portal, together we jumped in. The powerful force of the portal ambushed us, splitting us apart and sending us in different directions. Purple lightning channelled through the portal, the current of the portal was another thing. I screamed in fright, skillfully manoeuvring myself through the force so the lightning wouldn't strike me. My throat closed up, my stomach bile threatening to force its way up my throat. I saw a dash of fire, like an asteroid whirling in the current of the portal. The asteroid flashed past me, something tugging at my wrist and pulling me along. I continued to scream with fright until I saw the end of the portal. With great force, the asteroid or fireball hurled me in a flash and threw me out of the portal. I looked over my shoulder, seeing three lightning strikes the ball.

I felt a sudden tightness in my chest, knowing instantly that it was Ace who got struck. I screamed, wanting to go back in there to save my mate. Elle caught me, stopping the brutal fall I would have suffered from. I shrieked, jumping to my feet and looking up for the portal but finding none. "Ace! Elle, Ace got struck by three bolts of lightning! I have to go back in there and save him!"