43. You won't fail

Please leave a vote before you start reading. 😘

I started panicking, I wasn't ready to meet his mother, not just yet! She came with ten bodyguards, all with heads made out of fire. I prayed inwardly that she wouldn't see me. "Please, I'm begging you Ace, come back home." She pleaded shakily, she was going to cry.

"Mum, we've talked about this for years now, no is no, don't you get it?" Ace spoke softly, delicately. It was obvious he didn't want to say anything that would hurt her feelings. He loves her very much.

"Ace, I beg you, don't let me die of loneliness. I have a son but I live like I have none, what sort of life is that? You haven't been home for seven years now. No matter what is being celebrated, no matter how much I beg, you haven't stepped foot in your kingdom for seven years. Why Ace? Why are you doing this to me?" She cried, falling on her knees. Ace whimpered and knelt too.

"Mum, please don't cry, it'll break me."

"I will cry now, I will keep crying tomorrow, and I will cry forever if you don't come back home and begin your training as King. Ace, you have come of age to take over. Your father is getting weak and needs his successor, I need my only child to be around me. Fine, get a wife and bear me grandchildren so I can have little versions of you running around the palace, so I won't feel so lonely. Your father is always busy, never busy when it comes to sex but…"

"You ten, take a run," Ace ordered the men. The men bowed and started walking away while she blabbed. "Mum, I don't want to be king, I've told your husband that. I can't handle responsibilities and some stupid law stopping me from living a good life, never."

I rolled my eyes and closed the curtain, time to return to the room. I whirled around to leave, but my hand accidentally knocked down Ace's fish bowl. I yelped and cupped my mouth… Is that a toy fish? Ace was nurturing a toy fish!

Oi, this boy.

"Who's in there?" I squeaked and ran back to the room, locking the door behind me. I held my heart, contemplating what to do.

‹Why not try putting on something nicer than his shirt? Something to cover the hickeys?› Darcy suggested.

"Yes, yes, yes," I searched for my outfit which was now dried and wore them back on. It was just a simple cornflower blue camisole, scarlet blazer and leather skirt. I couldn't find my shoes anywhere, so I used a spell to make cornflower blue wedge desert boots. I was frantically packing my hair when I heard her shriek with excitement, clapping her hands really loudly. I shook my head and packed my hair into a ponytail.

"Marinette," Ace called softly, he stood at the door with a crimson face. I looked at him accusingly. He chuckled. "You didn't have to dress up to impress…" His mother came behind him.

"Wow! She looks glorious!"

"Mum," Ace whined. "I thought I told you to w…"

"Oh nonsense," she pushed Ace aside and walked into the room. I nervously dropped Ace's hairbrush which I was using.

"Good evening, Ma'am,"

"Call me Frena," she smiled. She stretched her right hand to me. I stared at it nervously. "Come on, I won't bite," I stared at Ace.

"Don't be scared of my mother, Rinette,"

"I'm not scared, just nervous. I wasn't planning on meeting her yet."

"I know," she said dramatically. "I wasn't planning to meet my son's mate here, didn't even know he had one since he didn't share that valuable information. You know, our royal librarian told me that Ace called him months ago, asking about a fire-blazed soulmate, that he thinks Ace has one. His father and I laughed it off, Ace has a mate? That's impossible with how loose he is…"