Episode 1 Rebirth

A/N: Yes. It's finally here. The Bit by Bit rewrite. The thing I promised a long time ago. I'm starting this earlier than expected just because I have like 6 or so chapters of this already, and I figured I might as well post them sooner rather than later. Gonna be honest, though. This hasn't been incredibly fun to write. Mainly because I've sort of been burnt out on this story from all the negative comments the original got. Even now, that weighs on my mind and makes it difficult for me to enjoy this story again, even when I still have a bunch of ideas I want to write for it. Because of that, don't expect this to have a very consistent update schedule. I will be writing and updating this story at my own pace. Despite that, I really hope everyone that's been waiting for this and everyone who finds this for the first time enjoys this story. Unlike the original, which was made on a whim for fun, this one has a lot more thought put into it. Now, that doesn't mean it'll be perfect, but in my opinion, it's already at a higher level of quality. Let me know what you all think. Suggestions for this story are appreciated. 

"Urrrrrrg..."

"That was a hefty groan. What's up?" Jessica, my auburn-haired assistant and close friend, asked me as she passed by my desk, carrying multiple folders and binders in her arms as she did.

"It's Monday..." I answered with a groggy voice as I placed my forehead on my desk. I proceeded to groan again, my voice muffled by the desk this time. My co-worker only gave a few small chuckles in response to my dismay.

"Mondays aren't that bad." She tried to convince me.

"Blasphemy!" I yelled in response. "Mondays are the devil!"

"Oh, now you're exaggerating." Jessica sighed with a small frown.

"Not at all. Mondays are the absolute worst for everyone." I told her. "It's the only day we have to come to work at 5 a.m. AND we have to stay here the entire day despite the holidays being right around the corner because we're behind schedule! And to make things worse, the boss needs me to make three entirely new programs to help the others work more efficiently. Does he even know how hard it takes to make just one program!?" I then groaned louder as I let my head fall onto my desk with a thud.

"That's what happens when you're a major member of a department in the company. It's proof of how far we've come." Jessica said with a smile.

"We work at a dead-end office job that's just a normal trading firm..." I deadpanned. I ran my hands down my face after saying that. "We spent our whole adolescence in miserable schools and then an additional four years at college just to end up here... What has life come to?" I then shot up from my seat, angrily tightening my hand into a fist. "The injustice of it all! What's the point of my computer science and engineering degree!?"

"Yeah...but the pay is really good despite all of that, especially since we're so high up the totem pole!" Jessica beamed.

I could only stare at my junior of 2 years in disbelief. I don't understand how she can be so optimistic all the time. But that's how she's always been, I guess. Completely different from me, that's for sure. She sees us as accomplished adults. I see us as office lackeys. She sees bright colors in the workplace. I point out the bleakness and gray tones. She makes friends with everyone easily. I still hate our HR representative, Toby. We're total opposites, but I guess that's how we've managed to be such good friends all this time.

Oh, right. Introductions. I'm...meh. Who cares, really? As I said, I'm just a guy who works at a normal trading firm you can find anywhere. Not really 'main character' levels of awesome, and I doubt I ever will be like that. But hey. You get what you pay for, right? Heh. But still, I can't imagine why anyone would want to know anything about me. I'm nothing special. I'm completely average in every way. So completely forgettable I can become invisible just by standing still for a while.