Episode 4 Big Shot

"The king said what!?!!" Gine exclaimed as she shot up from her seat. I didn't emote to her surprised reaction as I continued to eat the food she made at a slow leisurely pace.

"Yeah. He said something about how my intellect and wit were just as good as power and strength, so he said he wanted me to work as an engineer, scientist, and strategist, apparently." I mumbled in an uncaring tone as I ate. "I don't really get it. Why he did this, I mean."

"But this is great, honey! This is an opportunity that a Saiyan rarely gets!" Gine told me excitedly. "You get to work under his majesty directly with the other scientists! Who knows! Maybe Lord Cold will get a chance to see you at work and be impressed too! This could open up all sorts of paths for you!"

"I guess." I shrugged.

I had just told Gine about everything that had happened while I was away. Well, I summarized it. I told her how I landed on Monmaasu and survived there, though I didn't mention more. I then told her how after I landed back on Vegeta, the king wanted to see me and what he said to me. Now that she was bringing it up, I suppose this would be a good opportunity, though I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it to my advantage, as Gine suggests.

She also told me about stuff that had happened while I was gone. Raditz was born, obviously, though it wasn't too long ago. Bardock was also away from the planet, most likely out on a mission, though Gine said how he should be back in a few weeks. That's something to look forward to, I guess. Not that I really cared if he was here or not.

"Still, it makes sense that the king would be impressed by how smart you are. When we met again at the shop where I worked, I was shocked that you were the same baby from three years ago. You seem older than you are. You're already so mature despite your age." Near-death experiences and being alone on an entire planet will do that to a person. She then crossed her arms and pouted a bit. "I wish you would let me spoil you a little more."

"If I do, you'd probably suffocate me with hugs." I replied with a nervous expression. "I didn't think Saiyans were so...emotional."

"Hehe...I guess I'm an exception in that regard." Gine chuckled a little. "I was born with a high enough power not to be sent off, but I've always been...more empathic. I used to be on the same team as your father, but I was taken off due to being too emotional than a Saiyan warrior ought to be."

"That's stupid." I immediately responded. "Saiyans are all stupid."

"Don't say that." Gine told me. "Saiyans can be a bit stubborn and harsh, but we're not all that bad." She then leaned over and rubbed my head like before. "You turned out okay, right." I pushed her hand off my hand as I pouted a bit.

"I guess." I mumbled. She gave a small giggle at my response.

"You're not very talkative, are you? Could it be that you're shy?" She asked in a teasing voice.

"N-No..." I replied in a quiet voice. That just made Gine giggle more as she gave me a kind, loving smile.

"Well, you should probably head to bed now. You must be pretty tired after the long day you've had." She said. "I'll show you to your room."

"My room?"

"Of course. We prepared a room for you before you were sent off. We still have it. You might have to share it with Raditz when he's old enough, though." She told me.

"That's fine." I told her as she led me to my room.

After she led me there, she continued doing things while I went into the room. Everything was made of stone, even the bed, though there was a single, simple sheet of cloth to act as a blanket. It was pretty archaic, but it's not like my makeshift home on Monmaasu was much better. At least this wasn't a literal hole in the ground like that place was.